Lots to learn

mdias

Jun 1, 2018
Stafford Springs, CT
Hello All,
I am a soon to be-brand new AG pool owner.
Pool is being installed June 22 and we are in the process of prepping the site now.
I am very excited to learn all about the chemistry that goes into a new pool.
I haven't purchased any chemicals yet as I am trying to learn...
Feeling a little overwhelmed, but I still have time to read up!

Melissa

Welcome! :wave:

You're starting from scratch. That's actually an advantage. A blank canvas so to speak. You don't have to undo the damage done by years of bad advice or neglect. If you're filling from a public water supply and not a well, even better! In that case, you can have the water balanced in about an hour and keeping the chemistry in range for the rest of the summer will likely take only a couple minutes a day. It will quickly become as routine and mindless as brushing your teeth before bed.

One thing, though: you list the K-2005 test kit. That one doesn't measure FC & CC very high or very precisely. You probably went looking for the K-2006 and someone sold you the K-2005 telling you it was the same. It's not. But you can make it into a K-2006 by adding the FAS-DPD Chlorine tester.

The K2005 needs the K1515 added so that you can test FC above 5 ppm. It is called the FAS-DPD test.

If you can easily return it, I would suggest doing that and ordering the TF100. Much better value for the residential pool owner. Has more tests we use. See TFTestkits.net

Take care.

Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

You will need CYA aka stabilizer aka conditioner for new water. You will need liquid chlorine. Depending on your fill water chemistry you will need muriatic acid, or less likely, baking soda.

I suggest getting familiar with Pool Math. This will help you calculate how much chemical to add when you test your water.