Lots of Water Loss

PRA4SNW

Mar 26, 2021
NH
Hi, I'm new to the Forum, this is my first post here.
I have a 24' Above Ground Intex Metal Frame Pool. This is my second Intex, and although I live in NH, I winterize the water, cover the pool, and leave it up all winter.
I use a Hayward sand filter and pump, not the cheap stuff that comes with the pool.
I have had years of good service out of these pools, although I have had to patch the liners in them every now and then.

I am having a problem: During the last 2 winters, I have lost a very large amount of water (about 3/4s) during the winter. I immediately suspected a water leak, but the water loss starts about halfway through the winter when the water appears to be fully frozen. Last year, I inspected the liner for leaks and found nothing. I thought that it might be evaporation, but can't believe it would be that much loss. I do not see any dampness around the edge of the pool.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas, I would appreciate hearing them.
Thanks.

Welcome to TFP.

Show us pics of your pool and equipment and maybe we will see something in how you winterize your pool.

My first thought is you have water loss through the plugs in your suction and return.

We have seen snow and ice push covers down and squeeze out the pool water through the open skimmer. It could be the case here as well.

Here is a photo. I removed enough water to below the skimmer hole, and the outlets are blocked with rubber stoppers.
The ice did pull some plastic stoppers out of the outlets, so I can account for that level of loss, it's below that line where the water rapidly decreased, but not until the pool felt like it was frozen solid.
It has a winter mesh cover, new this year, attached with a perimeter wire and ratcheting lock.pool_water_loss.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.