Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
Hi,
The pool looks great during the day.
But when it got dark and I put the lights on you can see thousands of little particles in the water.
The total dissolved particles was 4400 this morning. Is this the problem and how do I get rid on it?
Test results
CL 4
Alk 135
CH 225
Stabilizer 70
Salt 3000
These are pictures but they don’t show exactly how many there were.
45E86DC2-F401-44F8-97E8-4BC86C1BF69F.jpeg0ED54C48-4612-4D0F-BE5A-BA2BDACC3AC7.png

Sorry but it’s really bothering me.
If I wanted to get rid of it how would I do it?

You cannot filter out such small particles. Your cartridge filter is doing the best it can. Maybe a DE filter could do better.

Your cartridge filter should filter down to 10 micron particles. A DE filter should filter down to 3 microns.

Reactions: bradgray
You can run the pump longer and/or at higher speeds and see if that gets you the clarity you're looking for...but as mentioned, you can't make it perfectly clear with no particles like distilled water.

Hi,
The pool looks great during the day.
But when it got dark and I put the lights on you can see thousands of little particles in the water.
The total dissolved particles was 4400 this morning. Is this the problem and how do I get rid on it?
Test results
CL 4
Alk 135
CH 225
Stabilizer 70
Salt 3000
These are pictures but they don’t show exactly how many there were.
View attachment 443858View attachment 443859
I have the exact same thing in my pool. Noticeable when the pool lights are on. Bugs me to no end.

My wife thinks it’s plaster dust.
I think I’m going to use a clarifier. I know it’s frowned upon here but I need to do this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Couple of thoughts as my new pool looks similar.

Is your yard complete? Mine is a never ending battle of dirt/dust blowing into the pool. The patio is now started and that will help some, then it will take until I mulch and get grass to grow for the rest of it.

My water looks stupid clear during the day, but the pool light shows the haziness from the dirt/dust.

I inadvertently left the pump on high RPMs one night and it was markedly improved the next day. For a day. Since then I've been running low RPM 24/7 because why waste the expemsive electricity? If you aren't running 24/7 you need to for now.

Also, the floating particles you can see are just crud that blew in that hasn't found its way to the filter yet. Between grass clippings and trees/bushes, you will always have some level of floaties, even at 24/7 operation, after a windy day.

I get a lot of Crud in my pool every time my neighbor mowers his lawn and it drives me crazy.
I used a product called Pool Perfect Total and cleared it up pretty good.
Now to get my chemical levels stabilized and not have to go through this again!

I get a lot of Crud in my pool every time my neighbor mowers his lawn and it drives me crazy.
Now to get my chemical levels stabilized and not have to go through this again!

You need to clean your filters now. That product claims to be an enzyme with a phosphate remover. A properly "balanced" pool doesn't prevent particles in the water. The filter has to remove them and can only do so much.

I’ve also used it before and did so for years as a phosphate control until I found Orenda. It will definitely clear up the floating particles because it includes a clarifier. If you’re going to use it regularly, I’d suggest not using it weekly, as instructed. It will clog up your filter. I have a DE filter and was having to clean it more often when using that product (I think it used to be called Perfect Weekly).

I can relate to the obsession with crystal clear water. It was hard to balance what I’d read here on TFP with the results I’d get with Perfect Weekly, but I finally weaned myself off of it. The particles are back but not noticeable unless I have the lights on. During the day, which is when we spend the time in and around the pool, the water looks perfect, so I’ve let it go.

I have a sand filter. I use DE in it and you still can't get everything that's in the pool light, though it can be minimized.

It's just how pool lights work with water.

Hi,
Just to be clear I’m not that fixated on the particles.
The problem was the water was cloudy and eating chlorine like crazy. Even though I slammed it twice.
Seeing all the particles in the light just tipped the scale.
Apparently phosphorus eats chlorine.
So now the water is clear and I’m not planning on using the clarifier anymore.
The plan is to balance the water to TPF standards and go from there.
And btw you can still see it’s cloudy in the light but it’s 90% better!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.