Lots of dead insects in pool

Sep 7, 2016
Inola, OK
I have been surprised at the dead insects in my pool. I only have the bucket-type Intex skimmer. I hope to install the through-the-wall type before next season. The bugs float around the edge, and I usually find several on the floor of the pool, near the ladder. I skim with a net every day and now I'm vacuuming with a PoolBlaster vac, at least around the ladder every day. There are mostly black flies, cicadas, grasshoppers, and some kind of little oval-shaped black bug.

Is there a way to deal with the insects? I have noticed the pool gets grass clippings and insects in it right after the lawn crew has been here, but new bugs are dying in there every day! I live in a rural community, there is a field adjacent to my back yard. Bug zapper is about 12' away.

The Hayward Dyna-Skim though-the-wall skimmer will do a lot to get those critters out of the pool. Until then, do you have a cover you can pull over it at night? That'll help raise your water temperature as well, especially if you use a solar blanket.

If time is all that's keeping you from installing the Hayward now, I'll tell you from experience that you can have it on and be swimming again inside of an hour. There are even ways to install it without draining any water first, although I chose not to do so. I drained mine a couple of inches, just below the bottom of the skimmer plate and then refilled it.

It's really a no-brainer once you make the decision to cut a foot long hole in the side of your brand new pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.