Lost Handle

pburr

Jun 8, 2022
WV
Hi all, First time posting and not sure I am in the right area to post. If this is wrong area please advise me where to post.
Question?
I opened my pool and after a few hours I discovered my skimmer basket was laying on its side. As I was taking it out to put in the right position the handle fell out and sucked into the system through the skimmer ports. The handle is a round aluminum rod 7” long. What should I do?

Thank you
Pat

I can't image that it went any further than the first elbow. Does your skimmer have an equalization line or a line plumbed to the main drain? If so and if that's the side it went down then it's quite possibly several feet down the pipe, and likely impossible to retrieve. The line going to the pump usually has an elbow only a few inches down and likely visible with a flashlight. But still probably difficult to retrieve.
The only danger I see from just leaving it is that it might catch debris and lead to a clogged pipe.

I can't image that it went any further than the first elbow. Does your skimmer have an equalization line or a line plumbed to the main drain? If so and if that's the side it went down then it's quite possibly several feet down the pipe, and likely impossible to retrieve. The line going to the pump usually has an elbow only a few inches down and likely visible with a flashlight. But still probably difficult to retrieve.
The only danger I see from just leaving it is that it might catch debris and lead to a clogged pipe.
Thank you for your help and comments. I don’t know which hole it fell in but I cannot physically see it or feel it. My fear was that it might cause debris clog as well.

Or try one of these it has a magnet but you want it for the claws. I use mine for all kinds of stuff including cleaning drains
If it’s farther than 24” you should see if you have a buddy with a fishtape.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.