Losing prime over night

jasong

Mar 10, 2017
House Springs
Hope someone can point me in the right direction cause this is driving me crazy. A few weeks ago i started loosing prime overnight when the pump is off. I have isolated the problem to the solar system by shutting down the service valves going to the roof at night. I dont understand how this is happening unless i have a bad check valve in the system. The system actually has three check valves installed, the two required for solar and I have a flow vis right after the pump at the inlet to the filter.. I dont quite get whats going on here.

Any ideas?

Re: Losing prime over night

Thats what im trying to get my head around. How is an air leak on the solar side getting past two check valves? Technically the solar system is always going to have an air leak since during drain down it fills with air via the vacuum breaker

But the vacuum break should not cause you to lose prime on the pump. So when you shut both valves off to the inlet and outlet of the panels, you do not lose prime?

Thats correct. I have isolation valves after the pentair solar 3 way and on the return back from the solar. Every night the past 2 weeks i go out at about 8pm after the pump has shut down and im sure the solar has drained down and close the isolation valves and disable the solar so i dont loose prime. When i get up in the morning, i undo that pricess.

What about a leak on the suction side ? (between pool and pump basket) Those are typically harder to find, since they are sucking air. Watch the basket closely after turning off the pump and see where the air bubble(s) are coming from.

I would have to have two bad check valves since I have the flowvis on the outlet of the pump and befor the filter and a jandy check valve after the filter.

skimmer----->pump------>flowvis------>filter----->check valve--------three way solar valve----->SWCG------------->Pool

The solar leaves off the 3way and returns via a T befor the SWCG. There is a check v prior to the T

I can draw out the whole system and post if it helps.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.