Looks like its time for a new pump....blessing in disguise

Numb

Gold Supporter
Apr 3, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
So, been a while since I stopped by here. Probably because life has been hectic and my pool has been well....trouble free!

That being said, the other day a series of unfortunate events occurred in my backyard and long story short...my pump appears to have died. This isn't a bad thing, it was ancient and needs to be replaced. The allure of a new VSP has been calling me since I found this place. No time like the present.

Looking for recommendations/confirmation of what I should be getting.

Seems popular opinion is Pentair Intelliflo is the way to go for VSP. Anyone disagree? What model is appropriate? Seems like 011018 is the one, but I'm also seeing a couple others out ther eincluding 011057 which honestly...I don't even know what the difference is here other than the price tag.

Anything will be an upgrade, but if I'm going to spend the money, I want to get the best bang for my buck and what I need for my pool.

Thanks for your feedback and opinions.

- - - Updated - - -

One add on question...or bit of confirmation...would this upgrade allow me to bypass the ole Intermatic timer? Because that would be absolutely glorious...

N,

The IntelliFlo P/N 011018 is a great pump... you do NOT want the P/N 011057 because it is a real problem child. It has the SVRS option which is designed to shut off if something, or someone, gets trapped on the main drain.. Sounds great in theory, but in practice the SVRS pump will shut off any time there is the slightest difference in pump pressure.

The only downside to the 011018 is that the control panel cannot be rotated. Not sure why, but the control panel is made to be operated when looking at the pump from the motor end. But, most pumps are installed with the motor end away from the operator.. This is not a problem when you have automation, but if you plan to operate the pump from the equipment pad, you just need to make sure you can stand next to the pump or learn to read upside down.

The newer IntelliFlo's, which cost more, all have rotating control panels...

Thanks,

Jim R.

You would no longer need the mechanical timer. The IntelliFlo gets constant AC power..

A guy at the LPS was just talking to me about these and was recommending the Hayward Tristar 950 as a viable option that....doesn't require professional install to maintain the warranty, which is a big plus in my book. Not to mention a year longer warranty. Also appears to have a keypad that faces a reasonable direction. He was also mentioning its easier/more compatible from an automation perspective....the way he explained it didn't make any sense though.

What's the reliability difference between the Pentair and the Hayward at this point in time? I'd really like to have the manufacturer warranty in place just in case, however based on the reports of the stellar reliability rating of the Pentair I'm not sure I'm THAT worried about it.

For value and good DIY warranty you should check with Inyopool. They have a line of VS pumps.

The Inyopool Pureline pumps look decent, however I can only find one consumer review of any sort and its not even on the VS pump. While I have a relatively high degree of faith in Inyopool....I'm not inclined to go a route I can't at least do some research on.

Well, got a line on a 011056 from a LPS for 950 out the door, which seems like a pretty decent price. Self-install doesn't seem too complicated so unless I can find a better option that's probably the route I will go.

The PL2616 is tempting as well, but...the ability to get the 011056 today is good since right now my pool is without filtration.

Read several places that surge protectors are highly recommended with the VS pumps? Thoughts? Recommendations?

N,

I am not normally a Leslie's fan, but that is a great pump for a great price...

Do yourself a favor and install the pump with "pump unions"... They prevent the normal leaks you see at the threaded connections.. They have an O-ring between the union and the pump to prevent leaks. They look like this... Custom Molded 21063-200-000-2PK Union Threaded 2 inch MPT x 2 inch Slip for IntelliFlo, 2 Pack

Not sure if your new pump comes with them or not...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sorry....I should clarify, when I say LPS I just mean Local Pool Store, I do everything I can to not step foot inside Leslie's.

I will definitely look for those connectors when I pick it up thanks!

Got the pump, looks great. Brand new exactly as expected. Took a couple looks at the pad while I was home, this is going to require some minor plumbing modifications and there isn't really any extra pipe on some of these joints to cut and reattach so....

Time to replumb the whole pad. :) I have a couple ancient bad valves on my return lines and the whole thing is just in general need of updating so figured may as well do the whole thing while I'm at it.

Have quite a bit of fun ordered and should be here in a couple days:
2 Jandy check valves
1 Jandy Neverlube 3 port valve
2 Jandy Neverlube 2 port valve
2 Intelliflo unions
And the big one....decided to upgrade my plain jane backwash valve to a 261055 multiport since I'm redoing everything anyways.

Should be fun!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any reason for check valves in my setup? I bought a couple before reading up on them and now am realizing the only place I could potentially put one is between the pump and the sand filter.

My setup is basic, no SWG, no heater. Two lines from the pool to the pump, one line to the pump, one line from the pump to the returns.

No big deal either way, I can hold on to them for the eventual SWG and heater upgrades.

Numb,

I have no check valves on any of my pools... I'm not even sure what they would be for unless you had a spa or solar. I guess they can keep your pump from draining back into the pool, but unless you have an air leak that should not be an issue..

Maybe one of our plumbing or pump Experts can chime in here...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Well....a few finishing touches still needed but about 95% complete. Just need to run the waste line and put some drain holes through the block wall surrounding my pad. I also have one joint between the pump and filter that is dripping under high RPMs that I'll have to cut out and replace, but under normal operating pressure its not an issue so I'll put that off until next weekend.

And yeah, I know there are risks with surrounding the plumbing leads the way I did, I did as much as I could to ensure that shouldn't be an issue any time soon but if it happens....so be it. I'll tear up some pavers.

I still need to set up schedules on my Intelliflo and learn everything there is to learn about this pump, right now its just churning away at about 1800RPM giving my pool some much needed circulation for a while. So far I'm really impressed with it.

Before:
IMG_2377.jpg

In Progress (pavers):
IMG_2182.jpg
IMG_5197.jpg

Current (95% Complete, functional):
IMG_0508.jpg

Like Jim said, my previous pump wasn't attached to the remnants of the concrete slab it sat on and reading around here it seemed virtually everyone was just letting the plumbing hold the pump in place. its definitely not going anywhere!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm really pleased with the results and appreciate the help in this thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.