CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I have followed the TFP guides to maintaining my pool and fired my pool guy mid last year. I'm getting tired of doing all the work and have better ways to spend the time. I would like a pool guy to handle the cleaning, brushing, and weekly acid regime, sock method for conditioner, borates, etc. It seems like everyone charges the same high rate but provides marginal service, plus up-charging for things you don't need or are harmful to balancing the water.

I'm wondering if there's a place I can find recommended pool guys on this forum in my area rather than interviewing randoms off of yelp. I guess I can hang out at my local pool store for a day and try to figure out if there's a good one, but was hoping there's an easier way.

I doubt you will be able to find a pool guys to care for your pool using TFP methods. But if you do, they will probably charge twice (or more) the going rate.

With a SWG, it should only take between 30 and 60 minutes for the entire week to care for your pool and follow TFP methods - and this would be during the summer. In winter, you can half that time.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Trouble free methods are convenient for someone living at the house but too much work for someone to drop by. TFPC is not once a week pool care and ignore it in between. It is pool checks 2-3 times a week for a few minutes.

A pool guy would need to charge you more then you are willing to pay or they can’t make a profit on your pool.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I doubt you will be able to find a pool guys to care for your pool using TFP methods. But if you do, they will probably charge twice (or more) the going rate.

With a SWG, it should only take between 30 and 60 minutes for the entire week to care for your pool and follow TFP methods - and this would be during the summer. In winter, you can half that time.
I’m actually finding winter/spring more challenging since there is a lot of wind blowing Crud into the pool which is a major factor why I’m considering a pool boy.

I’m actually finding winter/spring more challenging since there is a lot of wind blowing Crud into the pool which is a major factor why I’m considering a pool boy.
Hire someone to clean the pool. You do the water balance. Probably could find a local HS student that would come and clean the pool a couple times a week...?

It’s like following a strict diet, it’s easier to go get the raw ingredients and just cook it yourself. If you want a private chef give him your diet and have him cook on the daily at a price. Or you can grab fast food everyday and it will be about the same price cooking yourself.

A robot will handle the cleaning and brushing for you. Yes they are spendy and only last a few seasons, but they only cost a couple months worth of a pool service.

Between that and the SWG, that's 95% of the work.

Reactions: kul and Bperry
Yup- a robot or someone to just do the physical maintenance part (brushing & vacuuming) weekly while you handle the chems the TFPC way.
As mentioned, a teenager could vac & brush so long as they are given proper instructions, no need to pay a premium for a pool service if no chems are involved.
Btw- most folks don’t need to deal with cya weekly as it’s generally an every few weeks/monthly thing depending upon the weather/precipitation & borates are a once or maybe twice per season thing.
Adding acid & possibly adjusting the swg takes only a couple minutes a week if needed.

It’s likely that once the chems expectations are removed from the equation you are more likely to find a more suitable person to do the job if you find yourself still needing it.
On another note, maybe you don’t need a pool boy at all, just a strategically placed chainsaw, depending upon where the crud is coming from 🤣

I live in a similarly windy area. A robot is great or any other non-manual vacuum you like. You can set a schedule for vacuuming or just turn it on after winds subside. My pool isn’t very large so I don’t really have any issue at this time with this work. A pool guy won’t do the TFP method as mentioned by others.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.