Looking to build first new pool in my backyard. Vinyl or Concrete?

GosuPaintballer

Jul 14, 2019
North Carolina
I'm currently in the process of getting quotes to build a pool in my backyard. I'm leaning towards an 18 x 40 freeform concrete pool. I have lots of trees in my backyard, plus wild animals and my big dogs that could potential get into the pool which is why i'm leaning towards concrete over vinyl. I do like the price difference between vinyl and concrete though, which is about $20,000 give or take a couple thousand. My grandparents had a concrete pool when i was growing up and remember going to swim in the big concrete pool at the local country club as well. I have no experience with vinyl pools and know only what i've read online and heard from a few people that have owned them. I just feel like a vinyl pool is cheaply built and would cause me lots of problems in the years to come, but maybe not??? I'm located in North Carolina and there's a big mix of concrete and vinyl pools in my area. Fiberglass is a no go for me because i want a diving board.

Welcome to TFP.

There are pros and cons to each type of pool. If cost is not an issue a gunite/plaster pool can give you many years of swimming.

If you have knowledge about construction and want to save some money (probably more than $20k), you could always hire the subcontractors directly instead of going with a pool builder because that is all they do. The project manager of my current build has been almost non-existent, many issues have come up and I have had to resolve them myself. You would need to source the subcontractors, apply for the pool permit through your county and make the construction plans and design (there are online companies that can do this for you $).

There phases that my PB followed are as follows:
- Design
- Construction plan
- Permits
- Excavation (removal of dirt, installation of forms and gravel on bottom).
- Steel
- Plumbing w/ equipment
- Gunite
- Electrical
- Trenches Fill up, grade soil
- Tile & Coping
- Deck
- Plaster
- Landscaping / Final grading

Choice is entirely yours of course. We have a vinyl liner pool and just replaced the liner this spring. Before that, I don't think it had ever been replaced (30 year old pool - but we have only owned this house for 2 years). Pool is doing great at 30 years old. Even with the old liner, it was still fully functional and held water just fine- just starting to need patching more often. I think you need a great pool builder and look after it and any type of pool you choose can be good.

If you have knowledge about construction and want to save some money (probably more than $20k), you could always hire the subcontractors directly instead of going with a pool builder because that is all they do.
Not necessarily. Our builder had his own in house crew do excavation, pouring of walls, liner installation, equipment installation and bonding. Only the deck was a sub, and I hired an electrician for wiring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.