Looking for Vinyl Liner Replacement in Phoenix, AZ

Apr 8, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
The house I bought in 2014 had a brand new vinyl liner installed in the 24x24 circular in-ground play pool by the previous owner. Well, I'm starting to see why vinyl is so uncommon in the heat and intense UV of the desert. Very large (18-24") holes have begun to develop above the water line on the south-facing aspect of the pool. It looks as if the sunlight is just eating it away, and they are growing in size every day.

I've started calling around, but it seems that none of the pool construction/maintenance companies around here do vinyl, and none of them have been able to recommend somebody who does. What would you do if you were me?

What is the vinyl supported by...concrete?

If so, it might be possible, with a significant investment of money, to replace the plumbing fixtures, redo the coping, and have the interior plastered. A plaster surface will last A LOT longer than vinyl.

Honestly, I only clicked on this thread because I saw the words “vinyl liner” and “Phoenix AZ” in the same sentence....that was serious click-bait

Reactions: TheHawkeye
Or....if you really like to spend money, it’s not a huge surface area so it could be tiled. Tiling a swimming pool is insanely expensive but incredibly long-lasting. That kiddie pool is fairly small so tiling might be in the realm of possibility ...

Apologies--didn't intend for a click baity title.

Tile is an interesting option. I just finished a 500 sq ft tile job on my back patio and I'm confident I could do the job myself. I'm fairly certain the walls are galvanized steel behind the liner so tile would be an option. Thank you for the feedback.

Tile and epoxy grout would be an amazing surface. Both are very chemically inert so you wouldn’t get a lot of the water balance issues associated with cementitious materials. The return fittings would be different for vinyl versus plaster/tile surfaces. Not sure how tile would work on galvanized steel but, if you were handy enough, you could pour a concrete base an wall. It doesn’t sound like a very complicated structure so it could be converted to something very durable if you had the time to invest in it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.