Looking for recommendations for a new VS pump

lungs414

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 18, 2012
Eastern Long Island,New York
I have a

Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed High Performance Pool Pump | 3HP Max | EC-011018 currently.​

It has started making some noises and was looking for a backup pump just in case. I was thinking maybe a CAliMAr or similar, but none to be found and really not crazy about the pump given some research.
So now I am thinking of Pentair again and biting the bullet on cost.
20 x 40 vinyl
2 skimmers and main drain
2 returns and 1 return that used to be for polaris but use as a return.
170 total feet of 1 1/2 PVC for the suction side.
heat siphon Z700HP
28000 gallons

Any recommendations? Pentair EC-011028 ?

Thanks

011028 or 011056 pumps.

Pentair also has their IntelliPro pumps which are good.

In this environment see what you can get.

Ok, But I meant smaller as in HP size.

A Larger HP VS Pump is More Energy Efficient then a Lower HP VS Pump​

Long term a 3HP or 2.7HP VS pump will save you more in electrical cost then the increased initial acquisition cost over a 1.6HP VS pump...

At 1750 rpm the 1.6 HP is putting out 0.8 HP.

At 1750 rpm the 3 HP pump is putting out 1.5 HP.

So 1.5 HP will require more electricity then 0.8 HP.

But if your pool needs 0.8 HP then you run the 3HP pump at 1,150 RPM. 1,150 RPM on the 3HP pump will use less electricity then 1750 RPM on the 1.6HP pump while both give 0.8 HP.

Your pool does not need RPMs, it needs a specific HP flow and the larger pumps are more efficient.

Note, HP is not always linear but illustrates the equivalent number.

So I think when the original pump was set up, it was set to flows based on the ability of the pool pilot to produce chlorine. Also a stone was made to have the heat pump to produce heat when needed. Does this sound right. I have a variable time of use electric meter and run higher speeds between 12 am and 6 am. Then a few times during the day to filter the water.
Does this sound right?
Thanks again

So I think when the original pump was set up, it was set to flows based on the ability of the pool pilot to produce chlorine.

As long as you have enough flow for the SWG to be happy the amount of flow you have makes no difference to the SWG.

Also a stone was made to have the heat pump to produce heat when needed. Does this sound right.

Nope. I don't understand.

Like a SWG the HP needs a minimum flow to operate.

I have a variable time of use electric meter and run higher speeds between 12 am and 6 am. Then a few times during the day to filter the water.
Does this sound right?

You can setup the VS pump to take advantage of your time of day electrical rates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.