Looking for recommendation

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
As you can see from my signature about 5 years ago I bought a pentair clean & clear 75sq and 1 HP combo unit pump/filter. I mainly bought it because I'm not handy and didn't want to have to connect a whole bunch of different hoses. Since it's a 1HP motor I only run my pump about 3 hours a day to save on costs (5,000 gal pool so it's ok, water is usually clear).

I want to buy a 2 speed pump but I don't really see one on pentair's site for an above ground and I'm not sure what would be compatible with the filter if I bought a different brand. Just looking for some guidance or advice. Thank you

Single speed and 2 speed pumps over 1 HP have been prohibited by the DOE. That is why you can't find them for sale anymore. Unless you luck into one already in the supply chain. If you do find one that meets your needs you should grab it.

Yeah I don't need a 1 HP pump. I was looking for something less powerful. I called pentair and they don't make 2 speed pumps for above ground. The woman told me they just make more energy efficient 1 HP. So what do people buy that want to run their pumps more frequently at lower speeds? Like $800 variable speed pumps? I'm confused

Hey Richie !!! Only a handful of localities in the country pay more than us for electric, and only by a hair. The VS pump will pay for itself, even with our shortet seasons. Imagine what the electric bill will look like towards the end of the pumps lifespan. Eek.

Single speed and 2 speed pumps over 1 HP have been prohibited by the DOE. That is why you can't find them for sale anymore. Unless you luck into one already in the supply chain. If you do find one that meets your needs you should grab it.

Do they make 2 speed pumps under 1HP? I'm ok with buying that. I know pentair doesn't make one.

EDIT: Found one here, but I would have no idea how to make it 'compatible' with my pentair cartridge filter. See below with what I currently have. Thanks

Last edited:
Do they make 2 speed pumps under 1HP? I'm ok with buying that. I know pentair doesn't make one.

You have to shop around. Hard to say what is out there with all the imported pumps.

There is a good discussion on this thread on why having a too large pump is not good for filters.

I think that 1.5 HP pump will not work well with your little cartridge filter.

There is a good discussion on this thread on why having a too large pump is not good for filters.

I think that 1.5 HP pump will not work well with your little cartridge filter.

But I would only use the 1.5 just for vacuuming. For daily running I'd use the low speed. Is that ok

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But I would only use the 1.5 just for vacuuming. For daily running I'd use the low speed. Is that ok

If your current pump is 1 HP as you say and low speed is .39 HP then your filter should be able to handle it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.