Gold Supporter
May 22, 2018
Elmhurst, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I hope I am posting this in the right Forum category. I have been painting my pool with an epoxy paint for many years with pretty good results. I generally have to repaint about every 5 years and it is about that time. I would like to know the best time to paint the pool (spring or fall) and whether the product I have been using and the steps I have been following are the most appropriate. I have always painted in the spring, but have been told it would be better to do the job in the fall because the ground is less wet (and possibly less chance of debris sticking to the wet paint). I have been using Super Epoxy paint (sold by ITS) and these are the steps I usually follow:
  • Day 1: Drain pool. Power wash entire pool. Acid Wash (small sections at a time) and rinse with power washer again. Remove any debris from pool and pump remaining acid/water out of bottom of pool. Allow to dry overnight.
    • Questions: Is the acid wash necessary and, if so, what is the best strength to use?​
  • Day 2: Scrape all loose paint and grind down any areas where there are distinct paint edges. Patch any cracks or areas where there may be large differences between the paint and the pool surface where paint has built up and chipped away. Re-grout pool tile, as needed. Power wash again to remove dust and paint chips. Allow to dry.
    • Questions: Should I scrape/ grind/ patch before acid washing in step 1 in order to save time?​
  • Day 3: Paint entire pool and allow to dry for 2-3 days (per instructions on paint product).
    • Questions: Is using a primer priming before paint necessary or recommended? If so, should I prime the entire pool or just areas where there is no old paint? Is there a better paint product than the one I have been using?​
  • Day 6: Refill pool with water.
I know pool painting is generally frowned upon by TFP (as opposed to re-plastering), but it has worked okay for us for many years and we don't plan to be in the house for more than a year or two. Any suggestions/ recommendations for how to get the best paint job are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Pool paint formulations have changed in recent years due to EPA regulations.

A search will find reports of paint chalking and clouding water within a year.

Best of luck on your paint project.

JP, looks like you do pretty much the same as we did for my mom's IG pool (built in 1968, sold with the house last spring). We always did our paint work in the spring after removing the winter cover.

I think we used a different paint.

We stopped acid washing the pool once we got a good power washer. And we seldom scraped or sanded, simply used the power washer to get the paint chips and grime. I guess you could say we got lazy, but this did not seem to impact things from a perspective of using the pool or its look.

I don't recall ever using a primer except when we had to do some patch work due to winter ice causing issues.

Thank you for all the comments. I will probably still do a little scraping and grinding as part of my pool prep process, but will probably skip the acid wash next time. If the paint job is lasting longer than is typical it is probably because of all the good advice on this site regarding maintaining my pool, i.e., balancing chemicals, etc. Since coming to this site a couple years ago and learning the secretes to maintaining a trouble free pool, I have almost never had to shock my pool after opening.... just keep FC at the appropriate level and other chemicals in balance and my pool has been more clear than ever. This spring, I had my easiest opening ever. I'm sure this also contributes to a longer lasting paint job. I will try to find out if the Super Poxy paint formula has changed in recent years and, if not, stick with that one unless I get a better suggestion. Thanks. ? :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.