Looking for Pentair IntelliFlo VS communication pinout

Apr 3, 2011
San Diego, CA
I have an older model IntelliFlo VS pump (I think when they first came out).
It has a communications port on it for an rs485 connection. I am interested to know the pinout for that port.
It looks like this (crude text drawing, sorry):
_________
/ o \
| o o |
\ o /

\------/

So basically there are 4 pins oriented Left, Top, Right, Bottom, looking at the pump from the left side.
My question is, which pins do what. I have seen pictures of the cable that connects to them, but I am confused if the picture is the cable end connector or the pump side connector. They talk about pins 5 and 6 being D+ and D-.
From the pump side which pins are D+/D-? Is it:
Left = D+, Bottom = D-
Left = D-, Bottom = D+
Right = D+, Bottom = D-
Or some other combination?
And also what are the other two pins, are they +15V and GND, or some other values, or just NC (no connections)?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
You aware of...

Allen,

Thanks for the pointers. I had browsed 2/3 of them before, but I am one step before needing most of that. I still want to know that I have correct connectivity to the pump before I start programming and/or just pulling down one of those projects. I suspect my set up is probably less then most of them right now (one valve for solar/nosolar and the VS pump speed control). Eventually I would like to add temp sensor and then maybe PH and Chlorine sensors.

I am not sure how kosher it is to reply to your own post, but I am doing it.
I finally got an actual Pentair cable to connect. Turns out my previous post was incorrect.
The pictures posted are actually of the pump side of the connector, NOT the cable side.
So yellow is the bottom pin, which is supposed to be D+ (this was correct).
The green is the leftmost connector on the pump side and is D- (this was where I was wrong).
I hope this helps anyone else who is researching this in the future.

I still have not gotten communication from my Pi to the pump, but I am one step closer.

Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.