Looking for *objective* advice on closing salt water pool

DeptOfMeteors

Jul 8, 2020
Ottawa
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-15
I was looking for a recommended blog or something that gives advice on closing my pool for winter, but all I could find are influencers who wanted me to buy stuff. I also thought there might be a pinned thread in this forum, but there doesn't seem to be.
My pool has the following traits I think might be relevant:
  • Salt water
  • In-ground
  • Gas heater
  • Solar heater
  • Solar blanket and spool
  • Cartridge filter
I already have experience with a chlorine, above ground, unheated, sand-filtered pool, so maybe just telling me the difference would be good enough.

Wow! Maybe I'll have a professional come and do it the first time. Do I really need to go to all that trouble to flush the tubes? Gravity can't just take care of that?

Hey DoM and welcome !!
Do I really need to go to all that trouble to flush the tubes? Gravity can't just take care of that?
You need to get the water level in the pipes below the frost line, which in Ottawa will be a few feet below where the water level equalizes with gravity after you drain some for closing.

There is no harm in paying the first time and shadowing them. Take 1000 pics so you can remember each step of the process and why next year. A $20 tip per worker upfront will usually get them to be thrilled to show you all you need to know.
but all I could find are influencers who wanted me to buy stuff
Never ever here. Just a slew of fellow pool enthusiasts who consider it an honor to help you keep your hard earned monies. The only thing we have to sell is goodwill. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.