Looking for a drain and refill guide

azbidr

May 2, 2020
Scottsdale, AZ
I have been using BBB method with great success, but now I need to drain and refill due to high TDS. In the past, I found a step-by-step startup guide about what to add to my pool and in what order. I find this site to be very disjointed and cannot find a step-by step guide anywhere how to begin after my refill. Do I add borate first? DO I add stabilizer and adjust the pH next? I dunno. I want to do this in the most logical fashion. Can someone steer me to a drain and refill guide? Thanks.

Welcome to TFP.

For draining read - Draining - Further Reading

It is helpful to test the pH, TA and CH of your fill water to have an idea what adjustments will be needed.

1. Get 5 ppm of chlorine in the water immediately after filling
  2. Adjust the pH into the 7's 30 minutes later using Muriatic Acid
  3. Get stabilizer dissolving using the sock method to your CYA target
  4. TA and CH do not need any immediate adjustments. Take whatever the fill water gives you
  5. If you have a SWG you can add salt to the water

What test kit do you have?

We use PoolMath to determine quantities of chemicals needed.

That is the basics. Read...

Thanks, your enumerated list is better than what I had found, and I looked at the references, but I am more confused now. My primary reason for draining was high TDS, but the forum repeatedly says that TDS is not important, yet the draining article above listed it as a reason to drain. The TDs was 2700-3000 (pool store meter). I had let my pool go and it turned green in the last 2 days, as I thought that I was going to drain it anyway, so why add product? I am in a rush, as the temperature here in Phoenix will only allow me to drain tonight or tomorrow night, as the temps are going to 107. I spalled a plaster pool in the past when it was too hot.

I use a Taylor k1004, but I supplement it with FAS-DPD, a pH meter and with a Lamotte borate strips for a 22,000 gallon pebbletec pool. Borax has helped with my pH, but does not seem to be included in any refill algorithm. The draining chapter should have a link to a refilling chapter.

Welcome to the forum!
It all depends on what makes up the TDS. My pool has 'high' TDS -- because it has 3500 ppm of salinity. Calcium is a TDS that is an issue as it can cause scaling. That is why the proper test kits we recommend you can test CH and CYA, the two components of TDS that matter.
I suggest you read the article Allen posted again. I would suggest you do a water exchange. With our high temperatures it is best to not drain and leave the plaster to dry out.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks, your enumerated list is better than what I had found, and I looked at the references, but I am more confused now.

We are making progress now let’s work on unconfusing you more.

My primary reason for draining was high TDS, but the forum repeatedly says that TDS is not important, yet the draining article above listed it as a reason to drain.

The draining article never mentions TDS. It does mention some components of TDS - CYA & CH.

The TDs was 2700-3000 (pool store meter). I had let my pool go and it turned green in the last 2 days, as I thought that I was going to drain it anyway, so why add product?

TDS is meaningless. Knowing some of the specific components of TDS - CYA, CH, SALT - is meaningful to specific parts of your water chemistry.

So you should have your own tests for each of these chemicals.

I am in a rush, as the temperature here in Phoenix will only allow me to drain tonight or tomorrow night, as the temps are going to 107. I spalled a plaster pool in the past when it was too hot.

We have the No Drain Water Exchange process for conditions like yours. It is described in the Draining article.

I use a Taylor k1004, but I supplement it with FAS-DPD, a pH meter and with a Lamotte borate strips for a 22,000 gallon pebbletec pool. Borax has helped with my pH, but does not seem to be included in any refill algorithm. The draining chapter should have a link to a refilling chapter.

I hope you have calibrating solutions to use with your pH meter. You need tests for CYA and CH.

I do not understand about your comment about Borax and refill algorithm. We don’t recommend borates for all pools. Read Borates in pool - Further Reading

TFPC methods are different then what you seem to be familiar with. As Marty suggested read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and Pool School - Trouble Free Pool together you started.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.