Looking at new pool and salt but wondering about Baquacil Oxidizer 2

themanofsteel

Jan 22, 2024
North Carolina
Talking to dealers and getting quotes on pools and looking at a Trevi Matrix with Salt system. One dealer showed me the Baquacil and said some of his customers have switched to it and no longer using Chlorine or Salt System. They just pour some of it in every week with Pump running and it keeps the pool clean. Anyone have any advice on this? To be honest, new to this and trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks

Talking to dealers and getting quotes on pools and looking at a Trevi Matrix with Salt system. One dealer showed me the Baquacil and said some of his customers have switched to it and no longer using Chlorine or Salt System. They just pour some of it in every week with Pump running and it keeps the pool clean. Anyone have any advice on this? To be honest, new to this and trying to learn as much as possible. Thanks
Stay as far away from Baquacil as possible. There’s a whole forum dedicated to helping people convert back to chlorine.

+1. It is the most expensive route and also the most difficult to fix when white water mold (ICK) or pink slime (ICKETY ICK) happen, mostly only with baqua. Algae which can deep 6 any pool is also more difficult to remove because you can't run traditional chlorine tests to prove you are killing it. So you dump and pray and pray and dump with expensive chemicals.

My own pool store, in business to sell enough chemicals to pay the bills mind you, told me not to even think about it. They had some longtime customers who were still using it from before it was widely known to have so many problems and the pool store only kept selling it at those customers request. The store manager said something along the lines of 'we're torn because we want to keep our customers happy, but not like that'.

Chlorine, whether by daily adds with liquid, or a SWG that adds it for you are cheap and easy by comparison. Pool care is a joke once you get the hang of it and you'll have nothing like you remeber of friends/public pools that smelled or caused irritations. It's on you to give it a fair try and learn, but we will help every step of the way, for free, because we were all there once and never forgot how bad it sucked. It's a pretty sweet deal, if I do say so. :)

Oooooh. Manners. 🤦‍♂️ Welcome to TFP !!

Baquacil has many downsides, it’s quite expensive & eventually becomes unmanageable for many even when they buy all the products & do all the things (pink slime, white mold etc )
If you want lowish maintenance get a true salt water chlorine generator that is rated for at least 2x’s your pool’s volume.
& follow
Pool Care Basics with a good test kit
Test Kits Compared

Reactions: wireform and Bperry
Thanks for the info. Pretty new and gotten some quotes and was not or even thought about salt system until a coworker i was talking to told me had a 18k AQUATROL return line salt generator for his 12 by 24 oval which is the same size pool i am looking at or possibly a 15 by 24 depending upon what the Enviromental county inspector after determining location of septic tank lines. Talks like it is pretty ease to maintain with the salt system. Said he shocks it first of season and then the salt system takes care of it. In the quote the salt system was quoted at 950 dollars. Any thoughts? Thanks

That’s either 7700 gal
Or 9300 gal depending upon which one you go with
IMG_8826.jpegIMG_8827.jpeg
The aquatrol (t5 cell) is ok for that size pool (10k gal or less).
$950 is an ok price - the current going price for those is $1200-$1300
You can also use a t15 replacement cell with it later by adding a jumper if you wish to upsize further.
Here’s more info on that system
Not sure what’s available to you but in my neck of the woods they are still putting single speed pumps in above ground pool packages. If you can, instead go for a 2 speed or preferably a variable speed pump (if you can afford to do so). As It looks like with that cell in the larger pool in the peak of summer you may need to run it for 12 hours or so @ 100% to produce adequate fc - this can get expensive with a single speed pump depending upon your electric rates. (We have some of the cheapest in the country & it’s expensive for me in the dog days of summer with a 1.5hp ss pump)
IMG_8828.png
Average fc loss is generally anywhere from 2-5ppm/day (less in the shoulder seasons & more in the peak of summer)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.