Location of pool equipment

CarolR

Jan 16, 2019
Cedar Hill, TX
Hi, we are getting a re-quote for a pool this week (after 1.5 years of getting floodplain easements abandoned). What we are wondering is how loud is the equipment and how close does it need to be to the pool? The closest spot to the pool would be by our bedroom and I'm a light sleeper. By the kitchen the noise wouldn't bother me at night, but the plumbing runs would be further.
Plan: about 22K gallons, 37 long, width from 15-18 ft, depth 4 ft to 7 or 8 ft., Aquabright finish, cartridge filter (due to city restrictions on d.e.), SWG, short waterfall
No spa or heater.

Put the equipment by the kitchen. Get a Variable Speed pump. The pump can compensate for the distance.

Reactions: CarolR
Carol,

You need a variable speed pump for at least two reasons.. They are very quiet when run at a low RPM and with a SWCG you will need to run the pump longer to generate the amount of chlorine you need.

I have a 3 HP IntelliFlo pump that runs 24/7 at 1200 RPM most of the time. At that speed, when I first got it, I actually had to put my hand on it to make sure it was running at all... The pump sits about 8 feet from my head and is impossible to hear at night. Keep in mind that while VS pumps are quiet at low speeds, they are just as loud as a single speed pumps, when run at full speed.

A third reason for a VS pump is electrical costs.. Even with my pump running 24/7, the cost to run it is less than $20 bucks a month...

As a side note, since you will be having a SWCG... make sure the SWCG you get is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool.. This is because cells are rated when running at 100% output and 24/7...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

VS pumps may be quiet but there are many reasons pool equipment can get noisy over the life of the equipment. By the kitchen is the better location for @CarolR

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.