Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Maybe not THE source of iron, but certainly a source of Iron. Crappy filter baskets. Yep, the little steel rod is RUSTING. I looked at my other skimmer and at first it seemed OK. But I turn the basket over and sure enough, it is rusting on the outside of the basket, under the little lip. Who builds a skimmer basket with iron that will rust. It is intended to be submerged ,IN A POOL, 24-7.

Anyway, I just adjusted my review on Amazon and dropped it to 3 stars. It looks like the metal piece isn't even necessary. I pulled the rods out and the baskets are back in place. I purchased Aug 2019, so they only lasted 1 year 4 months before rusting.

20201226_162513.jpg

That is just what I did. I just don't understand why they would use a material that will rust, in something designed to be submerged in a pool!

Well, for what it’s worth, I have a similar metal bar in my Hayward basket and it’s going on 8 years with zero rust issues. It’s probably high quality stainless steel. Your metal rod is probably not the proper grade of stainless steel OR those areas were simply defective in some way that allowed them to corrode.

Reactions: kimkats
Well, for what it’s worth, I have a similar metal bar in my Hayward basket and it’s going on 8 years with zero rust issues. It’s probably high quality stainless steel. Your metal rod is probably not the proper grade of stainless steel OR those areas were simply defective in some way that allowed them to corrode.

I expect they are the wrong grade of stainless. One part of my company sells spare parts to the off-shore oil and gas industry. Everything has to be marine grade. And you need 316 Stainless Steel for marine grade. Pools are salt water. I expect this is stainless, just 304 or 304L, which will rust in salt water.

This is the third set of this type of basket. I like them because the "handle" it above the water line. A secondary help is small critters that get into the skimmer have a chance of climbing up the handle.

And you need 316 Stainless Steel for marine grade. Pools are salt water.

316 like pretty much all stainless will rust if contaminated with iron on the surface. Don't rule out contamination or inadequate passivation.

We had a twonk hit some stainless on our boat with a steel wire brush. The resulting rust was atrocious and it took a lot of remediation and then re-passivation to get it back to being stainless.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.