Local Pool Store Water Analysis vs TFP Pool Math App

Glad to have you join up. The great thing is you can get all you need to be delivered by Amazon or pick it up at Home Depot.

-----------------------------------------
Test Results 06-06-2021 @ 10:32 AM
------------------------------------------
Free Chlorine: 1.5
Combined Chlorine: 0.3
pH: 7.5
Total Alkalinity: 100
Calcium Hardness: 150
CYA: 90
Salt: 3300
How's your pool doing? I realize these results are from 6/6/21 but what are they today?
With FC of 1.5 and CYA of 90, that's an algae bloom just waiting for the perfect moment to rear it's ugly head.

How's your pool doing? I realize these results are from 6/6/21 but what are they today?
With FC of 1.5 and CYA of 90, that's an algae bloom just waiting for the perfect moment to rear it's ugly head.
I was thinking the same thing reading through it, going to need a lot more chlorine in there, not sure why they turned it down.

So I just went to the pool store today (got my pool installed last summer) and got my water tested and $48 later I'm looking up what the balance PAK 100 consists of and I get ****** to see that I paid $23 for a 12 pound bag of baking soda when Costco sells a 12 pound bag for $7, then I stumble across this forum and realize that I too have fallen victim to the "you have to get the pool store to test your water and tell you all the products you need" when 5 minutes on this forum tells me I'll save so much money in the long run by buying a Taylor test kit.

First post, thanks for the knowledge pool people, and I can't wait to start asking all of the questions when I get my test kit

It's just the upfront cost of the kit that gets you! Like other have mentioned, the speedstir does make it a lot faster!

This is exactly what I was thinking! I've had a CYA around 60 and a FC around 2/3 before and had a algae bloom! Definitely get that FC level up, quick!

Reactions: mariane
I was thinking the same thing reading through it, going to need a lot more chlorine in there, not sure why they turned it down.

Hey folks, I haven't logged in here in a while as the pool has been chugging along nicely and was getting ready to post another question around CYA. The water is fairly well balanced.

A quick update on what I did -

#0 - I dumped some HTH Algaecide in the pool as I wanted to get rid of the bottle. I instantly regretted it as it foamed up and may a ridiculous mess for at least a week. I'm never doing that again, ever, EVER.

What has been working -

#1 - Around mid July I started brushing the sides of the pool every single day.

#2 - I didn't want to do a complete SLAM, but we had a few days where I knew the kids weren't going to be in the pool so I dumped 1.5 gallons of 10% Chlorine in the pool to raise the FC. I believe it got up to about a 12 maybe 13.

#3 - I then cranked up the CORE55 SWCG to 75% and kept it there for a few weeks.

What else I did -

- Balanced the Calcium Hardness. This took a while as apparently the numbers were much, much lower than I expected.
- Routinely added water and encouraged the kids to splash the a lot to get the old out. (slightly high CYA)
- Ran the Pool robot about 3 times a day to help with the brushing
- Closely watched the Ph and balanced with closely measured Muriatic Acid as recommend by the TFP App.

As far as the original thread - I'm pretty much done with the local pool store. I stopped by to give them some business as I wanted to maintain a stock of liquid chlorine, just incase. They wanted like $8 a gallon, I laughed and showed them that it was on sale at ACE Hardware for $3.49 2/3rds of a mile away. I'm pretty much done with them unless I need something really specialized.

I just flushed the filter this past weekend and it for the first time ever went over 45 days without a changing out the DE. I could have let it go longer but I was eager to clean it out and hopefully it will last the rest of the season.

We have had a ton of rain here in Maryland this year and when I measured my CYA this past week (twice) it was around a 20. The SWCG is running at 50% for 18 hours a day which is averaging at least a FC of 5 (0 CC). I am thinking about cutting back the run time of the pump a few hours to see if I can bring it down and still stay algae free.

Ditching the pool store is generally a great idea! I know many people get their chlorine at Leslie's since it's 12.5% for a reasonable price. I was in yesterday for a backwash hose which I definitely overpaid for but didn't want to wait a week for shipping.

Just keep an eye on that CYA with a SWG - sounds like your CYA is pretty low according to the chart.

Ditching the pool store is generally a great idea! I know many people get their chlorine at Leslie's since it's 12.5% for a reasonable price. I was in yesterday for a backwash hose which I definitely overpaid for but didn't want to wait a week for shipping.

Just keep an eye on that CYA with a SWG - sounds like your CYA is pretty low according to the chart.The
The CYA does seem low, which is why I tested it twice. I don't know if the agents used to test it go bad over time but I'm a little suspicious. Everything is working great right now so I'm not going to touch a thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.