Local pool store under new ownership. Worried about chemicals being legit

May 19, 2015
Burbank, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So i guess our local pool store got bought out by this new guy that looks super shady.

The chlorine and acid he is selling is different and I was wonder if there is a way to test the chlorine if it's actually 12.5%

I remember reading a thread in regards to Leslie's pool supply selling chlorine that was old and ineffective. And the manager knew about it, or didn't care, I don't remember the full story. But I feel like it's a good idea to make sure you stay on top of the chems you buy if possible.

Any experimental suggestions?

You can test the strength Chlorine Date Code Decoder/Easy Way to Measure Strength.

That'll also help you decode the date IF the stuff is in throwaway jugs.

If it's the Orange and Yellow HASA plastic crates, it should be good stuff.

What would be a way I could chemically test it?

I was think something like, If I were to take a bucket. Put in 3 gallons of water with no chlorine. Add a specific amount of chlorine and then test with a kit.

What would be the ratios?

Seem like the online pool app isn't going to help in this situation

Last edited:
This works if you have a scale (and you should for weighing out those dry chemicals):
  1. Put a large vessel (like 2quarts) on your scale and zero it out
  2. Add exactly 1000 grams of water with NO chlorine in it, like distilled water or your tap water -- test it to make sure there's no chlorine)
  3. Zero out the scale and add 0.1 gram of your chlorine to the water
  4. Stir to mix thoroughly
  5. Run the FAS-DPD test on 10 ml of your mixture
  6. The concentration of the chlorine will be the ppm of FC that you measure
For example, if you measure the FC as 6.5 that means your chlorine is 6.5%. If it's 12.5 FC, the chlorine is 12.5%.

Here's the original post (note that 1 ml of water is equal to 1 gram of water)

Last edited:
Reactions: gonfishin
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.