Little to no filter tank pressure and poor suction

Update.
I have now changed the MPV to the correct one for sand filters. The suction seems better but still only about 12 psi tank pressure. The pool cleaner still won't move, or at least if it is it is so slow it is not perceivable. It does move for a while after backwashing. After the extended period with no filtering, the pool is very cloudy and a bit green. I have had the filter running for 24 hours but I'm not sure it is looking much different. Does anyone know how long it would likely take before I start seeing some filtering effect?

Thanks in advance

Hey James and thanks. Here is a list of everything I've done so far which may help.
  • replaced all O-rings/seals on the pump and housing
  • replaced the "Push-Pull" backwash valve for a side mount multiport valve (now the correct one)
  • used a hose and back washed the suction side pipes to make sure there was no blockage
  • replaced the pool vacuum hose
  • also replaced the tank pressure gauge
  • replaced the pump impeller
  • emptied old sand and cleaned inside of filter tank and replaced with filter balls
The pump is a Hayward Max Flow 2. It is an older model but is still producing good suction as when I backwash it is POWERFULL. In fact better than usual now that I've replaced the MPV. The water in the skimmers seems to be flowing well but it doesn't seem to be making much difference to the pool currently.

The only doubt I have, is that I hooked it up to the same ports as I did with the incorrect (DE version) MPV. I assumed the higher port was from the pump and the lower the return. Could it be that it is different for this MPV do you think?

emptied old sand and cleaned inside of filter tank and replaced with filter balls
Filter balls are no good, in my opinion.

Change back to sand.
I assumed the higher port was from the pump and the lower the return.
That's correct.

used a hose and back washed the suction side pipes to make sure there was no blockage
That does not confirm no blockage.

A hose only flows 10 GPM at best, so that does not mean that you can get 60 gpm through the line.

You need to follow the SLAM procedure.

Last edited:
I don't have any experience with filter balls, so I can't comment directly on their effectiveness.

However, in my opinion, they look like a stupid product that will not work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi all. I actually replaced the sand with filter balls a few months ago. To be honest, up until the current issue the pool was the best it has ever been with crystal clear water. Thanks for the video's. I'll read up on it further but even if the filter balls aren't as good as the sand, I'm not clear as to how that would affect pressure etc. I will follow the SLAM procedure though. I'll report back.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.