Little to no filter tank pressure and poor suction

mreidnz

Aug 13, 2022
Solvang, California
I have been having trouble recently with poor suction.

Symptoms:
  • low suction. Not enough to drive pool cleaner (I have a Zodiac MX6 In-Ground Suction Side Pool Cleaner)
  • Triton 2 sand filter not pressurizing. Pressure gauge less than 5 psi
  • No apparent air in the strainer housing
Here are all of the things I have done recently.
  • replaced all O-rings/seals on the pump and housing
  • replaced the "Push-Pull" backwash valve for a side mount multiport valve
  • used a hose and back washed the suction side pipes to make sure there was no blockage
  • replaced the pool vacuum hose
  • also replaced the tank pressure gauge
  • replaced the pump impeller
  • emptied old sand and cleaned inside of filter tank and replaced with filter balls
Everything was working well and the water was about the best it has ever been, but about two weeks later it seemed to lose suction.

If I backwash, the flow is powerful and this seems to get the pool cleaner moving nicely. However, the cleaner stops again after about 15-30 minutes.

Any assistance or advice will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

The pump is quite old. Probably 15 years or more. However, when backwashing it is a powerful flow so I assumed it couldn't be the pump. When I return the multiport valve back to filter mode after backwashing (clear water by the way), the tank pressure increases to MAYBE 10 psi but then slowly reduces and the suction reduces again.

I don't see any air in the strainer housing, but I am wondering if I may have a suction side issue under the ground from the pool to the pump.

It was happening prior to the change as well. I had an old push-pull valve that was leaking and a bit of a mess which is why I decided to change to the multiport. When first changed, everything worked great and I thought the issues were solved. Sadly it all returned to the way it was before after a week or two...maybe worse because I never had any tank pressure issues in the past.

Thanks for giving it some thought.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

So if there were a way to plumb it the other way around could that work? Not saying I will, but I'm wanting to make sure I know all of the options. Thanks again
The bodies of the valves are different that's why you can't just reverse the other parts.

DE on the left, sand on the right.

View attachment 446004
Ah...so it is an internal thing. I understand now. Thanks. So basically, whatever the issue, I will need to make that change to the correct multiport correct?

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.