Little tickle (electric) and heater /pump groundign

egiblock

May 23, 2019
Ohio
The other day I reached in the water and felt a little tickle, wasn’t much so I investigated more and found that the gas line into the pool heater had the same thing. Obviously it’s a grounding problem somewhere, and I haven’t had it plugged in since l noticed it. I know it’s somewhere in the heater itself and wanted to look at it myself before I get an electrician over here. Just where to start….

I did notice that there is a grounding bracket on the side and wondered shops that be grounded to a rod in the ground? And also, should the pool motor as well? I noticed there is a spot on the motor near the switch that seems to be a ground too.

should both of those places be attached to a physical rod in the ground ?

Unless you are very comfortable working with electricity I would advise you to leave it alone and let the electrician do the trouble shooting. I can ask some experts to give you ideas about what the problem could be and things to make sure the electrician checks out.
@JamesW , @mas985

Reactions: egiblock
There should be a bare copper wire that is bonded to everything metal on the equipment pad (e.g. pump, heater) and the pool itself. The bond to the pump housing is then grounded through the pump's grounding wire since that is also connected to the pump housing. So check those things first.

More details here:

Equipment that has power will have a ground terminal inside.

If the equipment should be bonded, it will have a bond lug on the outside.

Bond everything that has a bond lug.

You do not install ground rods for this purpose.

You need to get a qualified electrician to check everything and figure out what the problem is.

Reactions: egiblock
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.