Liquid cleaning solution for brushing waters edge?

kh2456

Aug 4, 2019
Santa Clarita
Hey guys new to the forum. Bought a house with a pool, first time pool owner since 07/19. Used TFP to get an understanding of the basics and bought to Tf-100 kit and told my pool guy that carried over from the previous owner to hit the road. He was only using Chlorine Tabs and my CYA was 130+ plus a bunch of other issues like high PH and the DE filter looking like it had never been cleaned. The issue I have now is at the water line and about 1-2 inches above it which is sort of a discoloration like very mild calcium deposit. My pool has about 3-4 inches of wall when the water is at the appropriate height. When I was in Maui last summer I watched the pool guy who was very thorough and when he brushed the edge of the waterline with the brush he poured some sort of cleaning soap or detergent onto the bristles before the scrubbing. I brush every week but I feel like its ineffective just brushing pool water onto the walls. The water line of this pool was immaculate and I kick myself everyday for not asking him was product he was using. I did some research online to see if such product was available and could not see anything at all. Do you guys use any kind of detergent when scrubbing the water line and if so which one? Thank you.

Reactions: savannahlissa
Welcome to the forum!
I suspect the person in Hawaii was using a cleaner of some kind for scum buildup due to sunscreen, lotion, hair products, etc. They do not have a calcium issue.
You have calcium carbonate scale. Acid removes it. But that takes time and the proper PPE of you can have issues. You can hire a company that does Kieserite blasting. That will take it off of the waterline.

Do you have tile at the waterline?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
I suspect the person in Hawaii was using a cleaner of some kind for scum buildup due to sunscreen, lotion, hair products, etc. They do not have a calcium issue.
You have calcium carbonate scale. Acid removes it. But that takes time and the proper PPE of you can have issues. You can hire a company that does Kieserite blasting. That will take it off of the waterline.

Do you have tile at the waterline?
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thank you for the reply, that makes sense about using the cleaner for the sunscreen and other chemicals. I will look into the Kieserite blasting as there are areas in the Jacuzzi that have large Ca deposits under the water line. Tried to acid brush them off myself with a some diluted Muriatic acid but it didn't work. I have pebbletech at the waterline.

If your plaster is at your waterline, do not use acid to clean it. It will damage the plaster.

I think you are going to struggle with the water you have, the evaporation that occurs, and having plaster at the waterline. You really need to manage your CSI to be on the negative side.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.