Silver Supporter
Apr 9, 2019
Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello, I didn't see a section for "general topic" or "chemicals only", but I may have overlooked it.

I was doing good keeping anywhere between 8-12 (1-gallon) bottles of LC on hand at all times. My pool gets many hours of direct sun, compounded by the Houston heat and humidity. I am using a lot of LC to keep my FC where it's supposed to be. I keep the bottles stored in a plastic tote container and place it outdoors in the shade, but regardless it's still exposed to the high temperatures. My garage is even hotter than the outside temps. When it's time to use the LC, I can easily tell it's lost its strength due to the color not being as yellow but more whitish. I also know it's lost the strength because after adding it to the water, then waiting a half hour to test the FC, the FC is still very low. So the LC is losing its strength after being stored 3-4 weeks.

As of today, I am not finding the LC in the local Walmart, Lowes, HD or other stores. Including stores that are about 20 miles away from me. Adding to this is the costs. Each gallon is now well over $4, close to $6, and some places like Walmart are charging $15 per gallon for the 12.5% grade online, and don't offer the 10% on line. I've also looked for regular bleach and even this is difficult to locate.

I am frustrated and want to throw in the towel, but I know I can't. What are my options? I cannot continue spending so much for LC, storing it, having it lose its potency, and having to use so much of it during summer.

I appreciate any and all guidance and advice.
Thank you!

So What’s involved with switching over to an SWG setup from the standard type of filtration system I have now. Is it just a matter of changing out the equipment, or does it also involve changing out the underground pipes and other components, etc?

what’s a rough costs range for a switching over?

thanks

An SWG requires two primary components. The controller, and the salt cell. The controller needs to be wired to a timer so it only operates when your pump is on. In your case, you could probably use the same terminals on your timer that your pump is connected to.

The second component is the salt cell. This is simply plumbed into your existing plumbing, after your filter and heater. Anyone with basic plumbing and electrical skills can install a SWG.

Thanks for all the info. Today I plan to call some companies to request quotes.

until such time I can get something like this done, what should I use in place of LC. I am down to 4 gallons. I am continuing my search for LC, but just in case I don’t find any, is there another product I can use such as the chlorine pucks?

If you still can't find LC at Walmart or HD, just grab some regular bleach from HEB or Walmart. NO splashless or scented, and no Clorox brand. While it may only be 7-8% strength, it's something. Your pool needs to eat (chlorine) each day. Going back to your first post, why were you storing your chlorine outside? I just keep mine in the laundry room in the house with A/C to keep it dry and cool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Storing LC inside is of no issue.

Not sure where in Houston you are, but there is a chemical company in Spring that sells bulk sodium hypochlorite. You have to have your own container. NAPCO if I remember right.

Thank you. I found regular bleach at another Walmart. It’s 7.5% but it’s better than nothing. I grabbed a few bottles and will find a place inside.

Attachments

• C4E36A3C-8A08-4802-9427-2CD1E55D73D4.jpeg
    C4E36A3C-8A08-4802-9427-2CD1E55D73D4.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 9
Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.