Liquid chlorine shortage

May 30, 2017
Spokane, WA
We can't find liquid chlorine anywhere in our area (Washington State). We normally buy from Walmart but they're completely out of stock. In lieu of having liquid chlorine, what are our options? I've only ever used the TFP method to keep our pool balanced...

Give a look at the video on that page, it’ll help explain your options plus maybe you’ll luck out and somebody else will have found something in your area. Don’t forget to check places like farm or pool stores as many of them have chlorine in stock.

You cannot SLAM with trichlor.

Your CH is OK to use some cal hypo, but how much depends on what your fill water CH is and how much you add during the summer.

Okay so found 6 gallons of liquid bleach in the back at Ace Hardware. Pool has been open for about a week but we haven't balanced it yet. Here are our numbers:

FC: 0.5
CC: 0
PH: 7.0
TA 110ppm
CH: 220ppm
CYA: 0

I'm wondering how I should go about balancing it using a combo of the liquid chlorine we have and the tablets. I'm hoping to get more liquid chlorine soon, but no telling if that's going to be possible or not. Do I 100% need to SLAM? It's been cold and rainy here, but there was a ton of dead algae we cleaned out from it being improperly closed last year. Did a sweet and vacuum today. Pool looking pretty blue despite all that. Getting our solar cover ready to put on as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well, you can use some cal hypo and see how it goes. As long as you can keep your pool water CH below 400 ppm, you do not need to do any extraordinary measures. Our pool water is nearly always above that so I have to manage TA and pH at a lower level to keep from scale.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.