Liquid chlorine PH question

May 22, 2017
Morristown nj
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am wondering what the PH value is for 12.5% liquid chlorine.
My pool is stuck at 7.8, added muriatic acid to bring it down to 7.4, but it keeps creeping back up consistently.
I'm adding approx. 1/2 gal of LC each morning.

PH is around 12 but this is not causing your rise. What’s your TA? Any features that you run that aerate the water, or returns that cause surface disruption/aeration?

TA is steady at 80, some returns cause turbulence as the water level drops.
Should I make sure that they are pointing below the water surface?
Yes turn them down to reduce or eliminate surface action on the water, this can contribute to ph rise. Reducing TA will help slow ph rise.

LC will cause some pH rise but it is temporary. Once the LC does its thing and kills algae (or is used up by the sun) it causes pH to drop a bit, which offsets the pH rise from adding the LC.

Creeping up is from TA and offgassing. Reducing aeration will help. You can let your TA come down to about 50 as the acid is added too - I wouldn't go lower, but it can get down there and that will slow pH rise too.

Reactions: Decoy205
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.