Liquid Chlorine Injection

spud

Jul 20, 2016
Chapel Hill, NC
I recently saw an article post by @Bama Rambler about liquid chlorine injection. I have a large, 40K G pool with significant high chlorine need. I've recently switched from a puck feeder system to the TFP method with Liquid Chlorine - with great success I might add.

Other than Walmart or other big box retailer sources of 1G liquid chlorine jugs, I have access to 15G 12% liquid chlorine carboys (drums) to be delivered to my house as needed at a reasonable price per gallon. I'm looking for more ways to safely and easily transfer this source into my pool on a regular basis. For example, where I feel my wife or teenager can safely manage this process. The splash effect and number of 1G jugs makes the process quite tedious.

Are there inexpensive injection systems/methods where I can leverage a bigger 15 gallon carboy or drum near my equipment or pool? Or even, is there an option for automation of this source out there and if so, please advise.

Thank you.

You'll want to look into setting up a Stenner injection pump system. Then you can set your drum next to the plumbing and have the dosing automated.

I think this is a good place to start.

CHLORINE (LIQUID CHLORINE OR BLEACH) INJECTION SYSTEM

Overall comment

If corrosion is not an issue for your situation and you have a VS pump, then a Stenner injection pump vs a Salt Water Generator (SWG) is not a significant economic issue either way. You should stop here and get a SWG. If you loathe hauling bleach, you should get a SWG. If you do not have any DIY abilities, you should get a SWG. There is likely an installer associated with a pool store near you who will come out and install a SWG. Not so with a Stenner. A Stenner injection pump is simple, but may be unknown to the pool store installer. A plumber could likely install it. If your municipality has restrictions on the discharge of salt water, or you don't have anywhere to discharge it you may want to go with a liquid chlorine injection system. The discharge of salt water can kill your grass or injur plants Excess Fertilizer/Salt Injury - Annuals, Bulbs, Groundcovers, Perennials, and Vines | University of Maryland Extension If you have concerns over corrosion, you may want an injection system.

After reading the above, if a liquid chlorine injection pump is for you, read on. Carefully consider the specifics of your situation.

Reactions: Newdude
Stenner pump system,or go a different route and go with a SWG.

With the stenner pump you need 4 main things.

The stenner pump
The tank to store chlorine
Power for the pump to run (need a GFCI 110V outlet near the pump)
Plumbing to hook the stenner output into the pool plumbing lines

But one thing of note, the process of going from pucks to liquid is usually done when your pool is a swamp from puck usage, and you come here to get help. I would not use this time frame as a factor on how much liquid that you will need to use. If you get your CYA right for your sunlight, you can probably get down to about 1/2 to 2/3 gallon per day in the peak of summer. Decide if this is OK to use gallons, or if this is enough for you to make a switch.

Ok, on searching I'm seeing a great threads on how using a Stenner injector connected to a liquid chlorine drum. I think most of my questions are answered here but if there are other posts, let me know.

Stenner Auto Dispenser Post

Another question comes to mind on this. How do you move a really big > 400lb drum around? Do folks use a dolly or what?

While weight is one issue, and degradation of the chlorine is another, is there any risk of this liquid chlorine leaking from the drum? Also, can it freeze in the winter?

@Yev great point. Now that my pool is not a swamp anymore, I will run it with the 1G containers first to see how this goes since as you say it may not be that much volume.

Another set up I'm thinking about is even lower tech and simpler. Have the 15lb drum delivered to my north side of house, hidden, shaded and behind a brick wall, and then hook up a rollout dispensing hose, so as needed just hand pump liquid chlorine to the return jet in the pool, about 15 ft. No 1 Gallon jugs (and their environmental impact). I wonder how I'll measure the output volume in that approach?

I installed a Stenner EconT injection pump, and it works very, very well. It is, in effect, automated in that it has a built-in timer that automatically injects LC for a set duration at set time intervals. A few tests of the pump will determine the volume of fluid delivered over a given number of minutes, and then some quick math will calculate how long to run the pump to inject the volume demanded by your pool. In my case, I have three timed cycles that inject shortly after my pump starts, in the middle of the cycle and 30 minutes before it stops, totaling about 60 ounces of FC per day. I could do it in one dose, but since it is automatic, I prefer to keep the FC levels more consistent throughout the day.

It does not account for changes in FC demand that result from weather and other circumstances, but my experience is that FC demands ebb and flow in such a way that once I found the sweet spot, I stay with the target range. I was 1 ppm over target when I tested yesterday, so it may be time to dial it back a bit with the shortening daylight and cooler temps. It's no big deal. It takes 30 seconds to change the timer.

At 40K gallons, I imagine you are are using at least a gallon at day (3 ppm) under typical circumstances, so I certainly see how lugging jugs is a PITB. With a setup like I have, you may be able to have the drums dropped to the pad and then just drop the pickup from the pump right in the drum, but I would think you'd want to have some way of keeping rain water out of the drum, so you'd have to figure that part out. I don't think it would be a difficult endeavor though.

Here is a link to my installation:

Another simple option is a siphon pump instead of the rollout hose but that involves a transfer into a secondary measuring vessel to pour into the pool

Another stenner automation thread I bookmarked

The issue with your rollout hose is the volume left in the hose. Lets say your hose is 0.75" ID. FOr every 10 feet of hose, that leaves you with about 30 ounces of chlorine in the line. This is a lot of a hazardous chemical.

With a garden hose,you simply let this run out into your yard or on a plant. But with chlorine, I guess you just let it drip into the pool. This seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

If you dont want a SWG, or stenner, then this is what I would do I think. Accumulate a few empty 1 gallon bottles of bleach. Get 15 gallon drums delivered, and store them in yrou garage, or someplace coolish and secure. Get the proper fitting or hose and transfer out chlorine into the 1 gallon jugs. Take to the pool as necessary. This gives you the convenience of 1 gallon jugs without having to buy them at the store.

Keep in mind that chlorine does have a half life, and the stronger the product, the more degradation you will see. So what coudl happen is that with fresh chlorine, it goes in as 12%, but towards the end of the 15 gallons it might be down to 6%, so you will have to account for that in your chlorine addition.

After much support from you all above and the other Stenner examples, I've researched and really like the stenner pump option. I think I now know the specs and set up for the pump, container, line integration. My question now is about the controller/timer. I see many folks go with the simple and cheap landscape lighting/equipment controllers. However, I have a Jandy RS Controller with PDA handheld. I believe I have a spare Aux relay that I can connect the Stenner pump to turn on/off leveraging the Jandy timer aspect for automated on off settings such as with my pump, heater, lights, etc.

Question: Has anyone integrated their Stenner to a Jandy Controller, and if so, how? How do you connect the 120 volt power into the Jandy controller box - probably not, but looking for how to leverage Jandy and Stenner automation?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not sure what you mean here by "low voltage from the Jandy"? Do you know of any resources or examples of folks controlling their Stenners from their Jandy pool controller?

After much support from you all above and the other Stenner examples, I've researched and really like the stenner pump option. I think I now know the specs and set up for the pump, container, line integration. My question now is about the controller/timer. I see many folks go with the simple and cheap landscape lighting/equipment controllers. However, I have a Jandy RS Controller with PDA handheld. I believe I have a spare Aux relay that I can connect the Stenner pump to turn on/off leveraging the Jandy timer aspect for automated on off settings such as with my pump, heater, lights, etc.

Question: Has anyone integrated their Stenner to a Jandy Controller, and if so, how? How do you connect the 120 volt power into the Jandy controller box - probably not, but looking for how to leverage Jandy and Stenner automation?

The 120V aux ports on the Jandy are essentially just switches. You need to get 120V source to one lug and the hot side of whatever you are controlling to the other. I found the Jandy manual online. It has some decent diagrams to look at.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.