Liquid Chlorine in a Hot tub or Swim Spa

qdylan

May 21, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Hi,

I was looking through some hot tub articles and found this one: Can You Use Chlorine in a Hot Tub?

Chlorine does not bother our skin so the irritation is not a problem. Is there any merit to this article, specifically when talking about damage to a hot tub/swim spa? (Deteriorated rubber fittings, calcium scale, damage to shell's appearance)

Assume that given a smaller amount of water in the hot tub when compared to a swimming pool, I would pour a safe amount of liquid chlorine and in a safe manner so that it does not touch the hot tub surface while pouring. My main question is that, can a small amount of liquid chlorine every 2 weeks really damage the hot tub/swim spa pipes, fittings or equipment? Or can it successfully be used instead of bromine?

Thank you so much.

Chlorine is chlorine. If in solid form it comes with elements that stay in the water, be it CYA or calcium. In liquid form it comes with, water.

That link sells parts. Not sure I would take a parts house suggestions on chemicals. Reading it sounds like they want to sell bromine. Which is OK, but then you use chlorine to activate it.

Always have CYA at proper levels in your water when using chlorine.

Read Using Chlorine in a Spa

The article is light on facts, designed to confuse and full of fear. Get a good test kit and use Pool Math to calculate proper application rates of liquid Chlorine amonts and to maintain your CYA levels. Monitor pH levels and adjust accordingly. Proper testing and proper dosage is key and never mentioned in the article. No Trichlor tabs in a floater. If your spa is made of plaster then keep your CSI in the zone using Pool Math.

All of the materials used in a hot tub including the shell and plumbing materials are chosen to be there because of their compatibility with sanitizers such as chlorine or bromine. Constructing a hot tub with materials that are not highly resistant to the most common sanitizer chemical used in hot tubs would be like building a car's fuel system using materials that are not resistant to the myriad of organic solvents such as benzene and toluene that comprise gasoline. It just wouldn't happen. Ignore whatever it says in the article and use chlorine without any worries. As Mknauss suggested, read the Use Chlorine in a Spa sticky topic and have at 'er with the chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.