Liquid Chlorine in a Hot tub or Swim Spa

qdylan

May 21, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Hi,

I was looking through some hot tub articles and found this one: Can You Use Chlorine in a Hot Tub?

Chlorine does not bother our skin so the irritation is not a problem. Is there any merit to this article, specifically when talking about damage to a hot tub/swim spa? (Deteriorated rubber fittings, calcium scale, damage to shell's appearance)

Assume that given a smaller amount of water in the hot tub when compared to a swimming pool, I would pour a safe amount of liquid chlorine and in a safe manner so that it does not touch the hot tub surface while pouring. My main question is that, can a small amount of liquid chlorine every 2 weeks really damage the hot tub/swim spa pipes, fittings or equipment? Or can it successfully be used instead of bromine?

Thank you so much.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Chlorine is chlorine. If in solid form it comes with elements that stay in the water, be it CYA or calcium. In liquid form it comes with, water.

That link sells parts. Not sure I would take a parts house suggestions on chemicals. Reading it sounds like they want to sell bromine. Which is OK, but then you use chlorine to activate it.

Always have CYA at proper levels in your water when using chlorine.

Read Using Chlorine in a Spa

gullzway

Nov 12, 2009
Tulsa,OK
I've used liquid chlorine/bleach only in our hot tub for 6 years. I add a few ounces(just pour a little don't measure) every other time we get out. Never had a problem with the water or equipment.

YippeeSkippy

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 17, 2012
Evans, Georgia
I've got a nifty small salt water chlorine generator we bought last year for my hot tub. Makes all the chlorine I need with little effort on my part except testing to monitor.

Maddie :flower:

Oly

Gold Supporter
Jun 28, 2017
Fresno, CA
The article is light on facts, designed to confuse and full of fear. Get a good test kit and use Pool Math to calculate proper application rates of liquid Chlorine amonts and to maintain your CYA levels. Monitor pH levels and adjust accordingly. Proper testing and proper dosage is key and never mentioned in the article. No Trichlor tabs in a floater. If your spa is made of plaster then keep your CSI in the zone using Pool Math.

Thread starter Other Threads of Interest Forum Replies Date
TFP_Addict Just Getting Started 10
J Just Getting Started 3
rllackey28 Testing and Balancing Your Water 2

Other Threads of Interest