Bwdonohues58

Gold Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 22, 2019
Homer, AK
Pool Size
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am in Homer, AK and the closest place to buy 12.5% liquid chlorine is in Anchorage, 225 miles away. I called APUN yesterday (chemical supplier in Anch.) and he told me that if I brought my own container, which I have from another supplier, the cost to fill it up would be $78.00 for 15 gallons. Actually, driving to Anchorage is no big deal because most people around here do it at least once a month to go to Costco, etc. A 15 gallon container lasts me around 2 months to keep the FC at 3.5 ppm. I'm just wondering if anyone in the lower 48 buys bulk Chlorine this way and how much per gallon?

A lot of folks buy refillable carboys and jugs of liquid chlorine from pool stores or janitorial stores.....but I think you take the record for cost and distance driven to obtain!
Do the local markets/grocers carry *plain unscented non-thickened, non-Clorox brand* bleach which is the same although weaker in strength?

Maddie :flower:

Thanks Maddie. This is what I have . Actually have 2 of them. So how much do you pay for 15 gallons? I did the math with buying Safeway bleach here and it’s about $4.50 each gallon for half strength bleach. So $9.00 for an equivalent gallon of 12.5%. So here it would be $135 plus sales tax. So $145.00 for the equivalent of what I can get in Anchorage for $78.00. Anchorage doesn’t have sales tax. I also don’t want to take all those empty white bottles to the dump.

Attachments

• 7354D398-8C57-46DF-88A2-4E594C2D5936.jpeg
    7354D398-8C57-46DF-88A2-4E594C2D5936.jpeg
    406.7 KB · Views: 11
I have been paying $9 for 3 gallons at Home Depot while doing startup on our pool. We are switching over to SWCG now and will go back to Liquid Chlorine when it gets too cold. Are you not able to use SWCG up there? Do you keep the pool open in the winter ad heat it?

I checked Home Depot here in AK and they do not carry the Pool Essentials 10% chlorine, or any other pool chlorine products to speak of. Doing the Math, I am paying around $4.00 a gallon for 12.5%. That's roughly what the Walmart cost would be adjusting for the higher strength ($3.64 X 1.125 = $4.10).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks AJW, There is a huge covid outbreak in Anchorage just now so I try to avoid going there if possible. I went up there and bought 2 containers this time. They are being stored outside and our temperatures have been in the 20-25 degree range so far. I looked it up and am told that the freezing point is around minus 8 or so. In Homer, we rarely get temps that low. About 10 gallons of it is in my Stenner pump/container in the equipment room so around 20 gallons is outside. I will move the containers inside the door if we get a single digit forecast. I am using around 15 gallons every 2-2 1/2 months so hopefully this stash will last us until March/April. Do you see any problem with storage outside? The alternative is to store it inside but the room is always about 75 degrees. The problem with buying it from Safeway a gallon at a time is that they are frequently out and they limit purchases to one per day. That will get worse before it gets better, IMO.

Sounds like you have this all figured out well and good! :goodjob: I see no problems storing outside assuming it doesn't freeze.

Since this is an indoor pool, your use stays pretty constant unlike outdoor pools in the lower 48 that the FC use tapers off in winter. If via testing you aren't reaching your goal levels you'll know the liquid chlorine has lost some potency. Then you'll just use a bit more, trial and error.

Good luck... keep us posted how it works for you.

(Do us a favor- can you please highlight or make bold in your signature that your pool is an indoor pool? Sometimes we miss that little detail when answering and it can make a huge difference in our answers, y'know? Thanks!)

Maddie :flower:

I pay $3 per individual gallon of 10% at Ace Hardware 5 minutes away or $3 per individual gallon of 12.5% at Ocean State Job Lot 30 minutes away. Recycling is unlimited and free ("free" with trash service) at curbside, plus I'm disabled and carrying a gallon in each hand is my max limit. Therefore I prefer individual gallons.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.