Liquid Chlorine/ But green tint

jland47

Silver Supporter
Jul 26, 2017
Louisiana
So, this summer I have been mainly using liquid chlorine, going through 15-20 gallons a week. I am also supplementing with tabs because of my high user load. Pool hasn't been that bad mostly just a little cloudy but, the last week or so it has been having a green tint. Got desperate so brought a sample to pool store and they gave me some Metal Out (said all other numbers were good), poured that in and ran pump for 36-48 hours, pool still cloudy slight green tint. Had to turn pump off due to hurricane Barry (good 10" of rain water added to pool). Pool now has a good green tint, drained a little running pump for a couple hours then going to backwash and rinse and plan to add a good bit of chlorine to shock it. Debating whether or not to bring another sample to pool store (I know this is a no no), I have my own test kits (dropper and powder taylor kits) just need to get back to clear water as fast as I can. Any suggestions?

Drained about 1/4-1/5 of the pool and refilled with fresh water. Added 1 gallon of acid to bring the ph down and then added 10 gallons of 12% bleach last night. This morning took readings (did both test dropper and powder because I must of did something wrong I am guessing), levels below. Brushed walls backwashed-rinsed and set dolphin to run all day.

FC- 20.6 (powder test, thought something was wrong so did dropper FC 5)
TC- 20.6 powder TC- 4 (this also confused me, which it might of been 5 bc there was very little change of color)
CC- both test showed 0 if I take user error for the negative number
PH- off charts, which I am assuming is normal when over chlorinating
TA- 100
CH- 260
CYA- 60 ( thought for sure I could get it down further by how much I drained, turned in-line chlorine feeders down to 1 or less)

You need to completely stop using tablets.

Use 10ml of water for your chlorine test so each drop is 0.5 ppm

I am not sure what test you are doing to get FC and TC of 5 and 4, trust the FAS-DPD test with the powder.
You can't test pH when FC>10ppm.

Just tested fc 3 and cc was 0.5. Water doesn’t have green tint anymore just cloudy. So I backwashed and rinsed then added 5 gallons of 12% bleach for the night will check back in AM.

The cloudiness clears up quick or is that what takes the most time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The cloudiness is the slowest part of the process, especially with a sand filter.

You should ideally test and adjust your FC again at least once more tonight so that you are sure you are maintaining your SLAM FC level.

Reactions: IceShadow
If you can test that FC and CC as often as possible during the day and up until you go to sleep. Then with additions of liquid chlorine as often as the testing tells you its needed to bring your FC up to SLAM level again, it will go faster.

Get those pucks out of the chlorinator entirely. You're just adding CYA with the pucks that you do not want.

Maddie :flower:

Well, for what it's worth from my camera the pool looks blue, will not be able to test until tonight. I do have a guy coming look at installing a liquid feeding system today, Pumps & Feed Systems | AquaSol. Only found one thread about automatic controllers and it was for just PH, I am sure most people on here have no need for that much automation, any opinions on them.

What size sample did you use for the water for the test? 10ml? If so, did you divide the drops in half (25 drops = 12.5ppm FC)?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.