Liquid chlorine and rising pH

MiguelACA

Silver Supporter
May 12, 2020
Houston
Hey everyone, help me understand this.

I have had my pool going on 3 years now, maintained it myself using TFP methods.

One thing that has bugged me and never got around to posting about is rising pH when adding chlorine.

I keep my TA around 70. I try to keep pH around 7.6ish. In my pool, ~1 cup of liquid chlorine will raise my pH ~.1.

The summer is brutal here in Houston, my pool gets a ton of sun. I tend to add about 2 cups of chlorine per day. I keep the chlorine on the higher end of pool math's recommended level in case i miss a day of adding chlorine, i have enough to keep it in check until the next day.

I feel like I am constantly adding acid to the pool to keep the pH in check.

I try to log as best as i can on pool math, my acid logs might be off since i'll add extra acid to account for how much chlorine i added. If my pH calls for 2 oz of acid to get it where i want it, but i also added 2 cups of chlorine, then i'll add 4 oz of acid and that gets my pH where i want it, that extra acid isnt always logged....

Let the TA drop to 60. This should help stabilize the pH rise. Your pH may setting around 7.7-7.8 .

Chlorine additions and usage are pH neutral. The pH rise is normal and not related to chlorine.
If you were previously using pucks, they helped keep the pH in check as pucks are acidic.

Reactions: HermanTX
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.