Liner fading progression after 3 years

Catanzaro

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 30, 2014
Monmouth County, New Jersey
Ever since I started with TFP, there has never been a spot of algae and always crystal clear water. In the beginning (right away), I have kept my FC within range. The first few years, my CYA was around 40-50 and now I keep around 30 so the FC can be kept lower. In addition, I really do not brush the walls and only vacuum the floor (manually) as the circulation system is excellent (2 main drains, 2 skimmers and 8 returns).

Each morning, I pour the 32 oz. to 64 oz. in front of a return and the water mixes for at least 2 hours. Then the pump turns on in the afternoon for another 8 hours, during hot weather. I can probably get away with less time and the first few years, I was at 12 hours per day.

Question: Is this sufficient enough for the water to mix with the bleach or should I be running it longer?

In the pictures below, you will find the difference in the fading after a few years. I intend to update yearly in the same spots with the same sample (of course hidden away from the sun). As you can see there is some fading. At this point, I am curious to know if anyone else has taken pictures over time and what there experiences have been. I know there are some liners that have better success, but my liner is a medium blue color (which from one of Chem-Geek's post), will be the type of liner that can fade faster.

Question: Has anyone had better success, and if so, what brand of liners, in addition to colors have you used? This would be a great reference for the future.

The fading is even across the board, that is under water. Above the water line, there is minimal fading (possibly because of the dark color), except the light blue above the pattern which is tucked in to the frame of the pool, under the concrete. It is also hard to tell above the water line as the border is real dark blue (as you can see in the pictures).

Wall by Steps (1).jpg

Floor by Steps.jpg

Attachments

• Floor by Steps ..jpg
    Floor by Steps ..jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 320
You should have another piece of liner and just hang it outside so it's only exposed to the sun... granted it's going to get much hotter temperature wise.

Hard to tell from the images if there is fading above the water line or not. It surely isn't obvious, other than the top area that's lighter blue where the liner is locked in to track. That is lighter for sure.

You should have another piece of liner and just hang it outside so it's only exposed to the sun... granted it's going to get much hotter temperature wise.

Considering October will be 4 years, I am behind the test. I could hang one outside, but there is nothing to compare. The pool stays covered 7 months with a tarp, so it appears this is not the best quality liner. Go figure, pool companies looking to save $200.

I'm thinking it has to do with the medium blue colour tending to fade quickly in the sun. We have a medium blue liner and it has definitely faded. Uniformly, but definitely. We use a pad under our stairs and that area hasn't faded (although the chlorine probably isn't getting to that area as much either). So I also agree it's probably pretty normal.

I had to update this thread. One will understand why after viewing the pictures below. This came about as we removed the steps in an old pool to clear up an algae bloom. The circulation is weak in this area and the problem started here. The pool is now crystal clear and at the end of the SLAM. Please note that this is my friends pool and not mine.

As you can see, the sun is the culprit in the fading and not the liquid chlorine or chlorine in general. I do not know how old this liner is, but assuming 7-10 years. The liner is not bleached out, but faded evenly, except where the steps were. I do not check the ladder and cups, but should be similar.

IMG_1253.jpg

IMG_1254.jpg

Even the border (pattern) is split in half because of fading.

Pictures on liner fading in the 4th year. The color scheme may be off as these pictures were taken in the morning, while others I believe were later on either in the morning or the early afternoon. I also took a sample that has been out in the sun for one year vs. brand new in basement bin (This is the one on the granite). It appears the sun really does not beat up the liner that much, over one year, but a combination of both. Hard to tell. The liner which is longer is brand new and never in the sun.

2 (Side by Side).jpg

IMG_6898.jpg

IMG_6901.jpg

IMG_6903.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Hard to tell, but it appears that the liner has not faded that much in the last 12 months.

Serious:

You can see that there is very little fading above the water line. Makes me think that a dark blue with a blue backing may be the next liner in 5-7 years +, but you never know how long a liner will last. I also like the natural look. Good news is I have plenty of time before a new liner.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Merlin is a quality product line, I have seen their sheet good & raw material analysis. No questionable fillers are used to cut costs.

Their entire line does not carry the fade warranty Catanzaro mentioned, just a few patterns.

The most verbose fading will occur in the first four years. All liners fade.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.