Liner chemical reaction and rust

rose62

Apr 20, 2016
Temple, Ga.
A couple of years ago we had our in-ground pool liner replaced. The east side of the pool deteriorated due to UV. Small holes developed into big ones then it finally tore open. When we had the new liner installed we chose the heavier material, at a slightly higher price. Last year I bought some of those Mr. Clean scrubbing sponges to clean around the water line. It ruined the print on the liner. No biggie but bummer, none the less. However in the area on the south west corner of the pool where I add acid the liner has wrinkled and faded. I always mix the acid weakly in a container before adding, constantly diluting as I add. The other liner didn't do this. Other's experience?

On another note, we recently had our roof replaced. The pool level was very low due to my having drained it partially during the winter (I have had pipes freeze and burst so I try to get the level below the frost line). Anyway, the roofers managed to get a handful of nail into the pool. Some rusted on the steps and a few lay near the drain and rusted. I couldn't see that they were there dues to the fact that my water was pretty green. I've contacted the roofer. I don't really know how to handle the situation. There is some wrinkling and fading but it's barely noticeable and hopefully hasn't compromised the liner. But the nails have left quite a few rust stains on the steps and in the pool bottom. I've emailed the roofer. But like I said, the liner wasn't perfect to begin with.

I always mix the acid weakly in a container before adding, constantly diluting as I add. The other liner didn't do this. Other's experience?
Never pre mix the acid. It creates opportunity for spillage and getting it on you or the surrounding area.
Pour the acid in a pencil size stream at the pool return with the pump running. Brush the area well if necessary.

But the nails have left quite a few rust stains on the steps and in the pool bottom.
Put vitamin C tablets in a thin sock. Crush them up a bit. Use a pool brush or other device to hold the sock on the stains until they disappear.

Reactions: rose62
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.