Lights Tripping

NLandas

Silver Supporter
Mar 25, 2019
ARIZONA
Good Folks of TFP,

Just noticed that my pool lights will suddenly turn off and trip the GFCI that's on the side of the pool panel box. I'm able to reset but it'd trip again after a while. Any insights?

Well that is no good.

I suspect you need an electrician unless you are very comfortable working around electricity.

Let's ask @ajw22 for some advice.

Sounds like your pool light is shot. (Same thing happened to mine) I just went ahead a replaced the whole fixture, and installed a new LED bulb. I’m not a fan of patching up old equipment, especially anything that deals with electricity and water. :cheers:

Pull out your pool light and examine it for water inside or corrosion.

If you have a junction box someplace where your pool light connects check that for no water inside.

Thanks Dude! Any recommendations that can do the work?

Honestly, it’s not that hard of a job, if you’re comfortable working with electrical connections, and you have a buddy to give you a hand pulling the wire.
If not, and your located in the east valley, shoot me a PM and I’ll give you a contact that I always recommend for pool work. :cheers:

Also check the gasket on the fixture. If the pool light has been in service for a while the gasket could be degraded and just needs to be replaced. The housing my be fine. And the cost difference between a gasket and a new fixture is substantial.
You know what Dude, I was thinking of doing that first. It only started acting up after I emptied and refilled the pool. I should’ve replaced the gasket as well. I’m gonna have to wAit until it gets cold to get that done and waste more water. ???

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
NLandas
There is a very experienced and licensed electrician here in the valley that specializes in swimming pool lighting/electrical. Especially working on existing pools.
Highly qualified and reliable.
Let me know if you need his contact information and I will send it to you on the private message side.
r.

Reactions: Arizonarob
Cool Folks of TFP,
Did an experiment to validate a hypothesis. Remember my pool lights will turn off and GFCI on the panel trips during the summer time + additional hot months here in AZ? Well, I decided to test it again now that it's colder and guess what, THEY REMAINED ON! I will try again to have them on longer than 2 hours tonight.
I believe the heat from the block fence wall where the panel sits against could be the culprit. I do not have any cover from the WEST side of my house as the sun sets or at it's hottest during the summer. The extreme heat from the block wall is probably contributing to the tripping issue during the summer months. I am thinking of creating a contraption to keep my panel off the wall to give it breathing room and not absorb the heat from the wall. Do you folks have any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.