Roswell, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My wife asked about the safety of the lighting in our new pool, and though I'm positive there's very little that can go wrong, I didn't have a clear answer for her. I'd like to ease her mind.

So -- how do you ensure that the lighting in the pool remains safe? Are there any sort of checks that I can do to ensure there aren't any shorts, etc?

This one is easy.. The lights are connected to a GFCI breaker and if there were anything wrong it would trip instantly... Most now are only 12 volt low voltage lights but even if they were 120V it is still GFCI protected :)

GFCI/bonding/and possibly a pool/spa safety transformer which takes 120VAC and converts it down to 12-13 VAC for your underwater lights. The safety transformer works by disconnecting the load should the transformer malfunction thereby effectively stopping voltage from coming down the line to the light fixtures.

If you don't have a safety transformer and your underwater lights are 120VAC the GFCI is taking care of this same task.

Test your GFCIs periodically using the TEST and RESET buttons.

If your GFCI tests good then you are protected.

The most important aspect of pool-light safety is the GFCI. Testing regularly (monthly is recommended) is what tells you if you are protected. Most good GFCI devices and breakers will come with a small chart that allows for keeping a record. Unfortunately this is seldom done, even on commercial pools where some jurisdictions require it to be done daily along with the water-chemistry testing.
Another problem with most pools is that GFCI devices do have a "shelf life."
This, from Homepreservationmanual.com:
"The average GFCI outlet has a service life of only 10 years. If your home is older than that, there’s a good chance that at least some of your GFCI outlets aren’t working properly. If your area is subject to corrosion, high humidity and/or frequent storms or power surges, it is possible for GFCI outlets to become non-functional in 5 years or even less."
GFCI devices in most pool environments certainly fit the conditions listed as limiting the life to 5 years. When I first got into this business, every electrical class, seminar, etc. that I took encouraged replacement every 5 years. Since "safety doesn't sell," it is almost impossible to get customers to do this unless the device tests as bad. The problem with that thinking is the "test" may be when a light has an issue and the device fails. If nothing else, a good practice is to replace the device each time a bulb is replaced and always if the whole fixture is replaced.

Pool water is highly conductive. Mixing that with electricity and your family never works out well. Best practice; test regularly. If it is over 5-years-old, replace it, they don't cost that much. Get a name-brand device, not the cheapest on E-Bay. Don't be afraid of your pool, just make it safe.

GFCI receptacles manufactured after June 28, 2015 with the UL approval are required to be self testing.

In my experience self testing GFCI receptacles fail by popping and not allowing a reset. They don't fail and allow circuits to operate unprotected.

From Self-Test GFCI Receptacle | What Is It?

A self-test GFCI receptacle is a receptacle that regularly tests the ground fault circuit interrupter function by itself, and then cuts off the power to that receptacle when the ground fault circuit interrupter function fails. The UL (Underwriters Laboratories) made it a requirement that all manufacturers of GFCI receptacles make them self-testing after June 28, 2015 in order for them to be UL listed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.