Cetanorak

Jun 13, 2022
Wimberley, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
An P1353ME Intermatic timer turns on/off our pool light at night from 8p-11p. Our Equipment pad is quite a ways from pool deck and on some evenings we prefer the light to be off to reduce attracting insects. Rather than having to walk around house to manually turn off ligh on timer, I'd like to run a switch up on to back patio to override timers control of pool light. Would that be as simple as spicing a cable run into the pool light wire with a switch that /open/closes circuit (spliced at a point between timer ad pool light)?

Last edited:
You have to wire an override switch at the timer to bypass the timer.

There is no power to the light past the timer so splicing at a point between timer and pool light will not do anything.

You have to wire an override switch at the timer to bypass the timer.

There is no power to the light past the timer so splicing at a point between timer and pool light will not do anything.

There would only be no power post-timer if the timer weren't set to power the light, correct? If I were to set the timer to power light 24-7 and wired a single-pole switch post-timer that would allow for opening/closing of the circuit with the switch, thereby overriding the timer. Cables from pool light to timer are black/white/green. In the Intermatic timer box, the green and white are tied together with all of the other neutral and ground wires using wire nuts. The only wire connecting to the Intermatic circuit for the light is the black wire. I would think that a an in-line switch on that black wire, at any point past the timer, would going allow for opening the circuit, regardless of what the timer is set to do...which is my main goal. The timer is set to run light from 8pm-11pm but I want to be able to flick a switch from my back patio and turn off the light during that time if I choose to (rather than walking down and around to the pump house every time).

I would think that a an in-line switch on that black wire, at any point past the timer, would going allow for opening the circuit, regardless of what the timer is set to do...which is my main goal.

That is correct.

When you turn the lights off with that switch you will need to remember to turn that switch on for the timer to turn the lights on again.

Do you have access to the black hot wire for the lights to run it into the house?

You can do that -- it would only override in the "off" direction, of course. However, I'd consider just using a WiFi switch at the equipment pad (you'd permanently bypass the Intermatic timer for the light). My pool light is on this one: https://www.amazon.com/Kasa-Smart-Light-Switch-TP-Link/dp/B01EZV35QU. Then you could set a timer but very easily override on or off from any phone/tablet, adjust the times, etc. And the timer can be more flexible -- for example, you could set it to come at sunset and off at 11pm.

That would avoid the need to run a switch cable from the pad to the deck, which to do properly could be a big pain.

You can do that -- it would only override in the "off" direction, of course. However, I'd consider just using a WiFi switch at the equipment pad (you'd permanently bypass the Intermatic timer for the light). My pool light is on this one: https://www.amazon.com/Kasa-Smart-Light-Switch-TP-Link/dp/B01EZV35QU. Then you could set a timer but very easily override on or off from any phone/tablet, adjust the times, etc. And the timer can be more flexible -- for example, you could set it to come at sunset and off at 11pm.

That would avoid the need to run a switch cable from the pad to the deck, which to do properly could be a big pain.
I had come to this EXACT conclusion last night, so it's reassuring to hear that you've already used a "smart" switch for this purpose. So did you splice this right into the wiring for the light in your timer box or put it nearby but downstream of the timer in a weather-rated enclosure?

I had come to this EXACT conclusion last night, so it's reassuring to hear that you've already used a "smart" switch for this purpose. So did you splice this right into the wiring for the light in your timer box or put it nearby but downstream of the timer in a weather-rated enclosure?

My light was on a separate switch in its own box already (well, I ended up rebuilding the pumphouse it was all on the side of so redoing that wiring). I definitely wouldn't just jam a switch loose in the timer box -- it should be in its own weather-rated box with cover, with conduit as needed between boxes (I used flexible plastic). Note that you'll need to provide a neutral to the switchbox for most WiFi devices (good practice nowadays for any switch wiring). If all the wiring is otherwise centralized in the timer box, you'll have 4 conductors to the switchbox (ground, neutral, always-on hot in, switched hot out)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.