Light niche wiring conduit leaking - suggestions on how to stop it?

tbrummel

Platinum Supporter
Jul 1, 2014
Madison, WI
After a lot of pressure testing, dye testing, etc., I found that I've got water flowing into the electrical conduit in the back of one of my light niche's (wet niche, Pentair Intellibright LED light fixture).
There is a bonding (ground) wire and the light cable running into the conduit from the pool back to the pad. The conduit is also designed as "wet"... but somewhere between the pool and the equipment pad, there must be a leak in the conduit as dye is drawn into it.

The question is: what do I do about it?

The diameter is too small to use typical leak locators designed for PVC piping (like the leaktronics pipe mic). So, finding out exactly where the leas is along the conduit might be a problem. Adding to that is the fact that I've got a pool cover well behind this wall of the pool, so the conduit is underneath that.

I'm thinking I can just seal it off at the niche and be done? Silicone caulk? I'd probably have to drain to below the conduit to get it dry before applying caulk but any reason to think this is not going to work? (Somethign tells me that if it would work, they would have just done it when installing the pool - so... :)) I don't want to apply epoxy or something that can't be removed because I may need to replace the light and have to pull the wire through the conduit in the future...

Anyone with experience or ideas in this area?

Also, I'm curious about this "wet conduit" design -- this can't be winterized (I live in WI) and the light niche is only about 24" below the pool deck... isn't that in the "freeze zone"?

From

LIGHT CORD STOPPER: For the most permanent solution to a pool light conduit leak, seal up the hole in the light niche with a Light Cord Stopper. Made in two sizes, to fit 3/4″ or 1″ hole, with a hole running through it to allow the light cord to pass through. Just push it in place firmly to keep water from entering the conduit.

From

LIGHT CORD STOPPER: For the most permanent solution to a pool light conduit leak, seal up the hole in the light niche with a Light Cord Stopper. Made in two sizes, to fit 3/4″ or 1″ hole, with a hole running through it to allow the light cord to pass through. Just push it in place firmly to keep water from entering the conduit.
Thanks - I ordered a couple of these to give them a try. I'll have to drill a hole for the ground wire as well (can't find any for 3/4" pipe w/ 2 holes ready to go). If it still leaks, I can drain to below these and add sealant around the plug. I should probably drain anyway to get the water out of these lines for winter protection.

I realize this is about a year late, but I did find a light chord stopper with two holes, one for the ground wire and one for the light cable.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.