Life span of a Jandy 1400 salt cell

eemueller

LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2013
SE Michigan
What is the typical life span of a Jandy 1400 salt cell? Mine is 5 years old. I'm not seeing sanitizer being produced, even set at 100%. I tried cleaning it with muriatic acid, but that didn't fix it. I did briefly see a low voltage fault code on the controller, but it's no longer showing that. Time for a new cell?

Last edited:
E,

The average lifespan for a 40K cell is 5 to 7 years... Some die earlier and some last longer.. I have one that is 10 years old and I just replaced one that was 7 years old..

If you can post all the diagnostics readings we have a couple of guys here that can analyze them for you.. Unfortunately, one of them is not me.. :mrgreen:

My guess is that 50% of the time when someone says their cell is not working, it is really that the pool is consuming more chlorine than the cell can make..

Have you performed an OCLT?? Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks,

Jim R.

E,

The average lifespan for a 40K cell is 5 to 7 years... Some die earlier and some last longer.. I have one that is 10 years old and I just replaced one that was 7 years old..

If you can post all the diagnostics readings we have a couple of guys here that can analyze them for you.. Unfortunately, one of them is not me.. :mrgreen:

My guess is that 50% of the time when someone says their cell is not working, it is really that the pool is consuming more chlorine than the cell can make..

Have you performed an OCLT?? Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Thanks,

Jim R.
I had to add liquid sanitizer to get any CL readings, at all. The overnight test didn't show any drop. Cyanuric acid level is at 70. The only error code I got was 120, which the manual says is low cell voltage.

A 120 error code is usually a bad cell. There could be other issues, such as a bad cord, or scaled cell. If the code goes away and comes back it might be that one polarity of the cell is no good and the other polarity still has some life to it. It sounds like you need a new cell. Five years for a 32,000 gallon pool is a decent amount of life.

What is the actual salinity and how are you measuring it?

What does the box say for salinity?

Check the plug and prongs for signs of corrosion.

Look inside the cell from both ends with a flashlight to see if the plates are corroded.

If the cell is scaled, clean it as needed.

What is the actual salinity and how are you measuring it?

What does the box say for salinity?

Check the plug and prongs for signs of corrosion.

Look inside the cell from both ends with a flashlight to see if the plates are corroded.

If the cell is scaled, clean it as needed.
The salinity was tested with a Taylor drop kit. It showed 3000 (15 drops of reagent). The controller is showing 3.0.
I didn't see any corrosion on either the plugs or prongs.
I didn't see any scaling in the cell, but I cleaned it with a muriatic acid solution, anyway.

The voltage should be about 24 to 30 volts dc and about 5 to 8 amps.

You can also check the power going to the SWG. You should get about 125 watts to 240 watts (volts ac x amperage).

The cell is probably beginning to underperform. Increasing the salinity might get you through the season.

The voltage should be about 24 to 30 volts dc and about 5 to 8 amps.

You can also check the power going to the SWG. You should get about 125 watts to 240 watts (volts ac x amperage).

The cell is probably beginning to underperform. Increasing the salinity might get you through the season.
Thanks for all the advise, James. I'm headed out to the pool house with my multi-meter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
ee,

Based on all the posts here I think it's very likely your going to need to replace the cell. Looking at the fact you have two salt units a 700 and 1400, you'll have a decision to either replace the cell on the 1400 or get a completely new unit. If you want to get a warranty you either need an authorized installer to add it or you get your warranty cut to zero if you do it yourself. If you go 3rd party for the cell or a new unit you get the full warranty offered. Also there are a number of brands that have plenty capacity for your pool with a single unite. All brands do have some early failures on cells so warranty is more important than on some other pool equipment. Fingers crossed that you find some simpler solution like a bad connection or something!

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.