Raleigh NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
We have a Levolor that uses a standing pipe for the fill sensor as our equipment is lower than the pool. We've never used the Levolor for several reasons and with winter approaching I have to start thinking about the water in the standing pipe. We live in NC and have some below freezing nights.

My preference is to get rid of the Levolor all together, but what happens to the standing pipe? Should it be capped at or below the ground? If I keep the Levolor, what are my options for insulating it? Can a valve be installed at ground level to drain the water in the pipe rather than removing it?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Our frost line is 12 inches. So if you really don't see your self using the Levolor in the future, dig down more than 12 inches and cut and cap the pipe off. Or better yet, if that pipe connects back to your pool, blow out the pipe then cap at the pool so you don't have a pipe with stagnant water in it all year long.

Also, what makes you not want to use it? I have been thinking about adding one to my pool because I am tired of dragging the hose over to the pool once a week to top it off.

Thanks for your suggestions Mike. Our pool builder plumbed the Levolor to our well after the irrigation system's backflow valve. Now that I know something about water chemistry I don't want to use unfiltered well water to fill the pool. Also, we have a weak well and when the Levolor kicked on to fill the pool we almost had no water in the house.

The water in the standing pipe is a little yellow. Is it safe to occasionally pour bleach into this pipe?

Is the water yellow or is the pipe stained yellow? If it is the pipe stained yellow I would think it could be iron coming from your well water. Do you have a water softener or a whole house filter on your house? If so use that water to fill your pool and avoid filling from the irrigation line. Hopefully some of the other experts can chime in and help point you in the right direction.

I'm not sure if the water in the standing pipe is yellow or if the PVC is stained. I'm not using the Levolor/well water since trying it one time. Since then I fill the pool with a garden hose from filtered and softened water from the house.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.