Levelling question? How much tolerance for level blocks on semi inground?

Weasel2017

Bronze Supporter
May 18, 2021
Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Just finished prelim excavation on the semi inground pool. Just curious how exact I need to be on the support blocks for level to one another? I'm not talking 2 in out but is a small fraction of 1/4 or so between them going to be an issue?

The pool is a steel frame 15 x 30 oval with A Frame side supports poured in concrete.

Only reason I ask is a friend said his installer told him get it close and steel shim to level once walls are erected and panels bolted together.

Thanks

Thanks for the input, I went ahead and reset the couple of blocks I was low on to get everything within 1/8" end to end. I knew I'd just be kicking myself if I didn't. As it turned some of the wall panels had the steel bolting bar extended a bit past the bottom rail so they wouldn't sit properly. Was a bit of a head scratcher re-checking my levels before i found the problem.

I would shoot for not more that 1/8" +/- difference block to block and no more than 1/4" +/- difference between the highest and lowest block. Ideally that 1/4" would be side to side or end to end difference.

As long as you are level within 1" across the diameter of the pool you are good.

I wish I had found TFP before assembling mine.... I spend DAYS leveling everything to as close to perfection as possible... almost gave up

Spending all that time shooting to make everything perfect wasn't wasted. Its worth the effort. Pros use laser levels which saves a lot of time. I had to get a Lazer level for a septic project and I have to say it was worth every penny I spent on that thing in the time it has saved me since.

The closer you get to level the better it is for the pool. Over time the ground around the pool will move and settle there's nothing you can do about that. The closer you start to level the better you will be 10 years from now.

There is also the aspect of building the pool itself. The pool is pre-made and pre-drilled to fit together level and square. The closer everything is to being perfect the easier the frame and walls will go together.

Spending all that time shooting to make everything perfect wasn't wasted. Its worth the effort. Pros use laser levels which saves a lot of time. I had to get a Lazer level for a septic project and I have to say it was worth every penny I spent on that thing in the time it has saved me since.

The closer you get to level the better it is for the pool. Over time the ground around the pool will move and settle there's nothing you can do about that. The closer you start to level the better you will be 10 years from now.

There is also the aspect of building the pool itself. The pool is pre-made and pre-drilled to fit together level and square. The closer everything is to being perfect the easier the frame and walls will go together.
Totally agree. I have a lot of time invested in this project between research and prep work and the hardest thing I have to do is pull the reigns back from time to time and slow down. Get close to panic mode some times where you just want it done. I will make enough mistakes WITHOUT rushing. ;-)

The weather picked up as we were doing walls so had to get everything secure in short order so glad I wasn't fighting with unlevel surface as well. Will have to go back and square up a bit but had no choice but to secure it before the weather got bad. Definitely the most stressful step.

Well all that levelling got done and then the rain hit. Going to let it dry out and see how everything looks. Next step was to pour the concrete for the side supports but now think I will be going back a couple steps if I had any settling.

I'm hoping to backfill after concrete and get foam and liner in to prevent a problem next time the weather doesnt cooperate.

Questions

Any issue back filling if I am only 30in deep one side and 18in on the low side without water? 24in will be on side with concrete. Oval ends max would be 20in of fill for my slope the way I'm draining and tapered down.

Want to partially fill to hold liner but dont want to leave liner exposed without water too long. Is there a suggested amount of time I can leave that?

Thanks and be honest I don't mind back tracking and getting it right :)

Attachments

• 20210611_193808.jpg
    20210611_193808.jpg
    453.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210611_193758.jpg
    20210611_193758.jpg
    377 KB · Views: 15

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would read the instructions that came with the pool as to when and how much to fill the pool. As well as when and how much to back fill against the wall.

It only takes a few inches of water to hold the liner in place.

Thanks, instructions say backfill before water is totally fine unless fully buried. I wasn't expecting it to be a major issue but wanted to double check. Water has fully drained away this morning from rain so hopefully the base is going to be fine.

Any thoughts as to how long I can leave the liner with 6" of water before filling the full way? Wasn't sure how much the sun would affect the liner that wasn't protected by water? Maybe I'm overthinking.

Days to a week or two is probably fine for the liner. The less time in the direct sun with no water is better but isnt the end of the world for a new liner.

The pool is relatively weak with no water or backfill against it. So it's best to finish it as quickly as you can.

Also the longer that water sits without circulation or chemicals the more likely you are to have stuff start growing in there.

Days to a week or two is probably fine for the liner. The less time in the direct sun with no water is better but isnt the end of the world for a new liner.

The pool is relatively weak with no water or backfill against it. So it's best to finish it as quickly as you can.

Also the longer that water sits without circulation or chemicals the more likely you are to have stuff start growing in there.
Thanks, I did have a plan for the circulation and some chemical to keep any issues there at bay till fully filled. If everything goes to plan it would only sit at that level for a few days max. Plus it will give me the necessary time to get the liner just right before the water truck shows and I am rushing to get it perfect.

Appreciate the help

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.