Letting it Go

Sep 9, 2018
Houston, TX
I'm not sure this is the best category for this, so please move if there's a better place for this question.

If we are forced to let the pool go due to income/business loss and needing to buy food over chemicals, what is the best way to shut it down? Should we continue running the pump? How little can we get away with running it?

Thanks,
Caracat

If you do not maintain the chemicals the pool will turn into a swamp. In Houston, it will be a mosquito breeding ground. So you would either need to put a cover on it (pretty expensive to get a good one) or maintain the chemicals. I suspect your local authorities are very cognizant of abandoned pools as they create big problems for disease.

Running the pump is likely one of the most expensive things you do with your pool. It can be run very little each day to maintain the pool chemistry.

If you can afford to buy some Polyquat60 algaecide, and then continue on with liquid chlorine at minimal levels you'll decrease the risk of algae and you can run the pump just a couple of hours max per day. Maintaining the pool at bare minimum levels, covering it if possible, will be cheaper than trying (or *having to*) fix it after it goes green. I would avoid swimming in the pool if you're looking to not use up the chlorine.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.