Let's talk Pentair Automation

Cincicobra

Bronze Supporter
Apr 14, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
So I am looking for recommendations on adding some automation to my simple pool setup. My equipment is all pentair - both good and bad for different reasons obviously.

What I am looking to do is control, as well as monitor, my heatpump, VSP, light, and SWG from inside my houses via wi-fi as well as maybe via my phone while away from the house.

I definitely have enough electricity left for another device, currently have a 100 amp subpanel for my equipment pad. I am also not looking to replace my subpanel as part of the automation. What are your thoughts and experiences?

Thanks ahead of time for the input - the information sharing here is invaluable.

C,

The bad news is that the SuperFlo VS is not made to control with automation...

Jim R.

Maybe there is an updated version I have Jim. Page 5 of the manual says the below:

Control with External Control and Digital Inputs The user can run the SuperFlo® VS Variable Speed Pump with automation external controls, allowing all four programmed Speeds to be controlled remotely. The pump has a sealed connector that can be used with Pentair External Control Wiring Kit (Pentair P/N 353129Z) to run the Speeds using digital input signals. When there is an external low voltage signal present on the Speed Digital Input line, the pump will run the speed programmed for that Digital Input. The supplied +5V signal is the recommended input used for external control and Speed Digital Inputs.

C,

What I should have said is that the SuperFlo cannot be controlled by the standard Serial cable used by the IntelliFlo.. When you control with the serial cable you can set any speed you want using the automation and the speed shows up in ScreenLogic along with the watts used..

With the SuperFlo, you basically have to use four Aux relays, one for each speed you want the pump to run.. These are fixed speeds determined by the pump itself.. You can make the speeds whatever you want, but you can't do it via the automation.. You have to manually go into the pump and set the speeds up.. The SuperFlo uses a different cable than the IntelliFlo. So, if you want to have four speeds, you have to buy an EasyTouch 8 as you will need additional relays for other functions.

It is a clumsy way to control the SuperFlo, but it will work.. I have no idea why Pentair did it that way, as it does not make much sense to me..

Make sure you do not buy the PL4 or PSL4 as the "L" means light version and it has no load center for your circuit breakers. And, a ton of other issues.. Not worth the money to install it..

Any of the full-up EasyTouch, IntelliTouch or the new IntelliCenter systems will control your heat pump, SWCG, lights, pump, etc...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Cincicobra
Make sure you do not buy the PL4 or PSL4 as the "L" means light version and it has no load center for your circuit breakers. And, a ton of other issues.. Not worth the money to install it..

Any of the full-up EasyTouch, IntelliTouch or the new IntelliCenter systems will control your heat pump, SWCG, lights, pump, etc...

Thanks,

Jim R.

This might seem like a silly question, but what is the benefit of a load center? Is it just another breaker for the pool equiptment subpanel? If so, what is the benefit of another breaker if there is already one At the main panel in the house?

AB,

An automation system with a load center becomes the "sub-panel" for the pool equipment.. So, normally you have a sub-panel at the equipment pad, and no automation, or you have automation, with a built-in sub-panel/load center.

Automation systems generally have several breakers inside, so it does not make a lot of sense to run many circuits from different breakers in the house breaker panel out to the equipment pad.

Jim R.

I am also not looking to replace my subpanel as part of the automation. What are your thoughts and experiences?

If you're looking to keep your existing subpanel then you can get the Pentair IntelliCenter Power Center Enclosure that includes 5 relays. I don't believe that bundles are available w/ power center so you have to build system a la carte. Give the folks from that website a call and they can talk you through options. One benefit of the IntelliCenter over EasyTouch is that you don't need to purchase ScreenLogic separately for remote access.

Thanks everyone. It really does seem that all of these automation systems are outdated in regards to interface, features, and functionality. For instance, there are no HomeKit solutions that I can find. It is just hard to believe no third party has come into the marketplace to sell a streamlined product that isn’t old tech bathed in bad marketing. Don’t mean to complain, it just is incredible how difficult it is to descern all of the current products and their variants.

Thanks everyone. It really does seem that all of these automation systems are outdated in regards to interface, features, and functionality. For instance, there are no HomeKit solutions that I can find.

The IntelliCenter is a brand new automation system only available this year. While it doesn't support Apple HomeKit yet, it does support Amazon Alexa. Maybe some enterprising person will create a Homebridge plugin like AqualinkD for Pentair controllers.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
After reading a ton of info and getting the great advice here it makes me wonder why anyone would waist the time and money to automate their pentair system - it seems as though reliability is questionable at best on these things. A mechanical timer for the swg, the built in features of the VSP, and the thermostat in the heat pump seem to handle the task just fine. And my OCD nature causes me to check my pool and equipment each morning anyway. The idea of manipulating settings from my phone appeals to me techie side, however I can't see it being worth it at this point. Does anyone find one of these systems making their pool routines easier?

Automation is a broad term, everyone has it to some extent even if just mechanical timers. With the advent of VS pumps you can have multiple schedules at different speeds to save on electric costs. You might have a cleaner that you need to schedule. You can turn lights on automatically in the evening or a water feature like a fountain. If you are solar heating your pool it controls the valve based on temperature inputs and changes pump speed. If you have a built in spa it can automatically set valves, turn on the heater and ramp up pump speed. If you have a vacation home you can remotely monitor and alerts can be sent when something fails. As to what level of automation you need it's more a question of convenience rather than necessity.

When somebody asks for a recommendation on automation they probably should state what they want to automate and what budget they have otherwise the answers might not be suitable. As for automation reliability you can't base that on anecdotal evidence from the web because you only hear from those that have issues and not those with working systems. However it's fair to say whenever you add more complexity to any system the possibility of failure can increase so it's a trade off to consider when you're deciding.

Last edited:
Reactions: MyAZPool
I'm just finishing up configuring my pool pad overhaul - new pad plumbing, new electrical, new SWG, and IntelliTouch automation. Granted, I had many legacy issues operating the old way. And I had safety/reliability concerns. In a word, I love the improvements. Of course, I designed the system for my pool and for me. It took a ton of study and even more doing.

That said:
  • My wife and kids can use the hot tub when they want to from their phones instead of calling or face-timing me to ask what to do with the valves and the heater
  • The SCG dramatically reduces my time spent worrying the chemistry to death, as did the addition of the robot last season where vacuuming is concerned
  • The kids love the LED color changing lights, and I love the energy savings over the old incandescent bulbs
I'm still sorting out some configuration and scheduling issues, but I'm already spending more time enjoying the pool and spa, rather than futzing with it. I dropped about $4k on all of the parts and equipment. Bids for pool guys and electricians came to north of $14k in my area.

So, yep. I'm happy and it is already making my life easier.

Your mileage may vary.

Reactions: MyAZPool
If you're looking to keep your existing subpanel then you can get the Pentair IntelliCenter Power Center Enclosure that includes 5 relays. I don't believe that bundles are available w/ power center so you have to build system a la carte. Give the folks from that website a call and they can talk you through options. One benefit of the IntelliCenter over EasyTouch is that you don't need to purchase ScreenLogic separately for remote access.
Cincicobra
Concur with @guinness on all accounts. And yes, give PolyTec Pools a call. They will walk you through it all. Great customer service/prices, very knowledgeable and no taxes/shipping. Hard to go wrong, especially when it comes to IntelliCenter related equipment.

And also, just to be clear, the IntelliCenter has outstanding heater support capabilities (gas, electric, heat pumps, Hybrid/Ultra-Temp as well as solar).

And just like @BMeeley, my automation system (IntelliCenter, Valve Actuators, VSP, IntelliChlor and IntellipH has dramatically reduced (NOT ELIMINATED), the time needed for general maintenance, pool configuration changes, scheduling etc. Without the above listed equipment, I would choose to NOT own a pool rather than go back to my pre-automation/VSP/IC-60/IpH days.

All-the-best...
r.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cincicobra
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.