Let things be or keep adjusting?

Jquinby

Apr 28, 2020
Murfreesboro, TN
Hello. We have a new pool (details in my sig) and I think I'm getting close to a good place w/r/t levels. Tested just a little while ago and am reading as follows:

FC: 4
CYA: 60
pH: 7.8
TA: 150
salt: 3600

I don't have the means for testing calcium hardness, but I do know that our water supply is pretty darn hard. As in, every dishwasher load needs some Lemi-shine or things are spotty as can be.

I've been slowly bringing the CYA up with liquid stabilizer (and will switch to dry once we're in maintenance mode). So it looks like the CYA could come up a little more to get me into the 'ideal range' of the PoolMath app. TA and salt are also on the high-side. We're having a very rainy spring, so I'm having to draw water off every so often to keep the skimmer working.

So, should I just leave things alone, trusting that as long as FC and pH are in reasonable shape, the salt and TA will correct over time via rain/drain? Or is it worthwhile to take the more active measures suggested in the app to get into the ideal ranges? And if so, what's the best order of operations?

(incidentally, I very much appreciate this place as a resource. We didn't get a whole lot of pool-school instruction on chemicals from our installer and have been figuring this out on our own as we go).

Edit: I'm not in the industry. I made a mistake when setting up my profile and can't figure out how to set it to "No" MOD note-fixed!

Last edited:
Everything looks fine. Do not worry about TA as it will come down as you adjust pH to keep in the 7's. With no CH reading you will need to keep an eye on your SWCG and if it starts to shed calcium flakes then you may need to do some adjustments.

Reactions: Jquinby
Keep in mind that nobody really cares what your numbers are except us. They judge the water. Is it crystal clear? Does it sparkle? Does it smell funny? Does it make your skin itch? These are the questions that matter. Test results are just tools to get the right answers. So... don't sweat TA unless you're having difficulty maintaining pH. Don't sweat CYA unless you're having trouble maintaining FC.

You probably ought to get a CH test, because you don't want scale to start growing. It's like grow-your-own sandpaper and it will leave pretty bad roadrash when waterlogged skin rubs against it.

Reactions: Jquinby
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.