Less pump for better efficiency?

roytfp

Aug 12, 2015
Poteau, OK
I inherited the pool (in my sig) when I bought the house, and this is my 3rd year running it. I only recently realized the pump is probably much more than I need and is costing me money I could save. I have no need for programming other than a set run time per day and enough pump time to run the SWG 6 to 7 hours, which currently I'm running both for 7 hours. I'm thinking a VS pump would be overkill, when just installing a smaller pump would give the savings. But I don't know. I'm looking for suggestions on what pump to replace my existing with. Plumbing is 1-1/2". Thank you for any suggestions or calculations!

You could save a lot of money by simply leaving the wet end in place and swapping out your current electric motor for a 2-speed motor. The energy consumption on low speed is about 1/3rd. The trick is to size the motor so that there is enough flow on low speed to run the SWG. If you do that, then you’d only need high speed for vacuuming.

2-speed motors cost around $200-$300 and so you will get a complete return on investment within the first few years. You just need the electrical to be there and maybe upgrade to a 2-speed Intermatic timer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.