Leslie's says I"m fine, dipsticks and 4 other places say I'm not????

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Again, up to you, but it sure seems like you are about at the end. After doing a SLAM for algae, we wait until all three criteria are met just to be sure the algae doesn't come back and that the FC level will hold, but for eliminating ammonia it doesn't "grow" and is just a chemical reaction that will continue to have chlorine get rid of it at lower FC levels, just more slowly.

For my second reading I used a 5ml sample, as I don't want to run out of reagent (should have bought the bigger kit). My result was a FC of 21 and CC of 1. I'm assuming that by using the 5ml sample the result wont be as accurate, since I made a line on it that less then perfect. But I assume that at 21 its pretty close and I don't think it went down by much. I'm thinking I'll take one more reading and if it stays put I'll stop for the night, and see what it looks like in the morning. Hope that makes sense.

Hey Richard,

Just took my am reading....sun has been up for at least an hour...not strong on pool however. I'm at 17 Fc and less then .2 for FC.

Should I be concerned with the 3 point drop in FC?

Thanks again, much appreciated.

I decided to train about a 3rd of the pool water and then do the procedure above. I redid my bucket test which basically showed a 10 ppm would satisfactory! Because my CYA levels had actually increased to around 50ppm from so much tri-chlor dispensing, I decided to shoot for 20 ppm.

Just a thought, but if you added extra floaters and have the chlorinator full of pucks to combat this issue, it may be time to remove them. In fact to do the OCLT (Overnight Chlorine Loss Test), you need to have all sources of chlorine addition removed. If you have already done this, or i missed where you said you have removed them, just disregard this post.

Re: Leslie's says I"m fine, dipsticks and 4 other places say I'm not????

AM readings

17 RC
less than .2 FC
PH 7.0
ALK 60
CYA 50
Ammonia 0

When doing Alk the instructions say to add drops till the water turns red. Do they mean any shade of pink or red? Since at least 1/3 - 1/2 of the pool water is new, Im not surprised that the ALk and PH are low.

Any other thoughts? Richard and group, thanks you for the valuable information and piece of mind you brought to me through this process...learned a ton!

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you night....I did turn off the chlorinator and removed all other sources of CHl when I shocked:)

For the OCLT you look good. For the daytime usage, the 3 ppm FC is somewhat on the high side but not wholly out of line. If you are getting a lot of sun, then maybe the 50 ppm CYA could be higher, but then that increases the amount of chlorine if you needed to SLAM. Probably best to leave things as they are and just see how things go. The original ammonia problem seems to be gone. The CC of 0.2 ppm (or less) is perfectly normal.

You could aerate the water to get your pH up and as was pointed out use chlorinating liquid or bleach at this point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.