Leslies levels vs mine??

May 30, 2016
Abilene/Tx
Hi everyone I have a question? I needed a pool light and to test my cya (ran out of the solution.) So I had to go to Leslies, I figured while I was there I'd get my water tested. Well so I've been a little lax here and there but my numbers seemed to be ok and match up with Leslies and between my T100 kit and theirs my pool is sparkling. (I do have a couple bad spots but I have bad plaster) anyways today my pH tested 6.8 at their shop but my home kit has me looking at atleast 7.8 (it's definitely red). They also said my alkalinity was 130 but I haven't tested mine yet. They jumped right on the soda ash but I didn't buy it. I need to figure out why my at home pH test is not accurate with theirs? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

You are using the R-0014 reagent right? Any idea how old it is? 5 drops into the viewing comparator too? The reagent has been stored indoors in the shade? The tip is not blocked and the drops appear to be nice, full teardrops from the bottle? If all of those are good, then once again I would believe your testing versus theirs. :) As a test, you could tests a sample of tap water just to see what you get there.

Thanks Pat tap water test is a great idea. I tested my tap and it is more of the orange color so I'd say 7.2, Reagant has been stored in the kitchen bar. I purchased it last summer so a yr old. Tip looks new and the drops seem to be nice tear drop sized drops. ;)

Okay then, it sounds as though the pool store testing is once again flawed. Either by incandescent lighting, condition of reagent, or testing accuracy of the tech at the time. They do those free tests hundreds of times each day and it just gets very monotonous. Very easy to make a mistake. Go with your testing and adjust as necessary. One other tip - after you add the drops, hold the viewing block up against different light-colored backgrounds if it helps. Some people like a white piece of paper. Me personally, I use the side of my house as it's a kind of beige color and seems to work well for my vision. :crazy:

Later, you can always post the other numbers if you like and we can compare everything together for you at the same price....... FREE. :)

Ok thank u again!! I tested my alkalinity test too because I thought the pH and alk test went hand in hand and so far their reading was 130 and mine said more like 110. So I think my levels are still in range. Did I post correctly? Whenever I have a question I just start a new thread like this?

Your posts are fine. You can continue to re-post to this thread for regular testing issues and feedback if you like. If you encounter something different or unusual, then you can start a new thread in that particular forum as required. If you ever make a mistake on a post, we can always fix it for you.

It's good to know TA with pH because an elevated TA can allow pH to rise a little more faster than normal. While a TA of 110 isn't crazy high, you might find later that lowering to about 70-80 might help keep the pH from climbing too fast. If you decide to lower TA, just follow the instructions on the TFP Pool School - Lower Total Alkalinity page. PS ~ Don't forget to update your signature at some point. :whip:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.