Leslie’s Fresh n Clear. What is it?

Charlie227

Silver Supporter
May 8, 2019
Vero Beach, FL
Some folks around here swear by using Leslie’s Fresh n Clear non chlorine shock almost weekly. What is it? Why use it?

I’m a newbie just starting to take charge of my pool. I said goodbye to my pool service. I have a K-2006C now so I’m ready.

You can read through these threads about it. You don’t need it using TFPC methods.

It is largely Pentapotassium Bis(peroxymonosulphate) Bis(sulphate). Why pay Leslie's prices? Go pick up a bag at the grocery store. :mrgreen:

It's an oxidizer, same as bleach, or cal-hypo, or trichlor.

My gut feeling is that because it's not Chlorine-based, and therefore doesn't form Combined Chloramines -- public pool smell -- that's why Leslie's pushes it. So your pool can be inadequately treated but you won't smell that "bleach smell. Hence, "Fresh" in the name.

The downside to using it is that it messes with the CC test. Your pool could be perfect until you add some MPS and then all the sudden your CC spikes and you feel the need to SLAM. Except a SLAM won't eliminate the CC, because it's not CC.

Pretty much what Richard said, except that it is only an oxidizer while chlorine is an oxidizer and sanitizer. Non-chlorine shock will break things down like chlorine does, but it does not kill microbes. Really there's no good reason to use it in a chlorine pool. It also adds sulfates to the water which is not something you want to make a habit of with an SWG.

A little fun I have is when someone "swears by" a product, I ask them why it works. It's eye opening to see just how little it takes for someone to swear a product works wonders.

It is largely Pentapotassium Bis(peroxymonosulphate) Bis(sulphate). Why pay Leslie's prices? Go pick up a bag at the grocery store. :mrgreen:

It's an oxidizer, same as bleach, or cal-hypo, or trichlor.

My gut feeling is that because it's not Chlorine-based, and therefore doesn't form Combined Chloramines -- public pool smell -- that's why Leslie's pushes it. So your pool can be inadequately treated but you won't smell that "bleach smell. Hence, "Fresh" in the name.

The downside to using it is that it messes with the CC test. Your pool could be perfect until you add some MPS and then all the sudden your CC spikes and you feel the need to SLAM. Except a SLAM won't eliminate the CC, because it's not CC.
If I ask for this at the grocery store, I think they might not have any idea what I wanted. Is there a more common name?

Not a grocery store. There is no need to use MPS in a pool.
What does MPS mean stand for?
I have something similar my pool builder gave me to use, (which I haven't since finding this forum) he said it's a non-chlorinated shock!
That was shocking!!
The name is E-Z Clor (what does "clor" mean) O2 Shock.
Inert Ingredients = 57.2% and Potassium Peroxymonosulfate = 42.8%
Active Oxygen: 4.5%
Apparently it is a corrosive with a HazMat label of 3260

I was instructed to use 1.5lbs per shock on a clear pool...huh no testing to see if I need that? Nope, once a week on a clear pool...Oh oh!

MonoPerSulfate. Normally Potassium based.

Do not use. It will completely mess up your FC/CC testing until it is consumed by organics. It does NOT sanitize. It oxidizes.

Most municipalities have a Household Hazardous Waste disposal facility or events. Take it there. Or give it to someone with a standalone spa. It can be useful in those. With caution.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.